OpenGL launcher, possible?

excalion

Reaction score
Is it possible to replicate the android launcher, except draw/render everything with the GPU and openGL? I heard that's why the iphone OS is so much smoother than the droid, because they use their GPU to draw their homescreens.

KillerVamp

Reaction score
the iphone doesnt have a dedicated 3d graphics chip like the droid. the iphones "graphics chip" on the iphone 4 is a layer on the cpu that renders the graphics of the os. the older iphones do have a dedicated graphics chipset, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the droids. if you remember way back in android 2.0 and 2.0.1 the droid's 2d framerates would easily hit 60 fps in fps2d even clocked at 600mhz but its been severely limited to save battery life etc...

OP
E

excalion

Reaction score
the iphone doesnt have a dedicated 3d graphics chip like the droid. the iphones "graphics chip" on the iphone 4 is a layer on the cpu that renders the graphics of the os. the older iphones do have a dedicated graphics chipset, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the droids. if you remember way back in android 2.0 and 2.0.1 the droid's 2d framerates would easily hit 60 fps in fps2d even clocked at 600mhz but its been severely limited to save battery life etc...

Yes, but after getting my hands on an iphone recently, I couldn't help but notice how choppy and jittery the droid's home screens and various other things were compared to the iphone. If the graphics chip in the iphone is not as powerful as the one in the droid, why is the droid more prone to choppiness and jitter? Is there a way to remove the limitations on the chip to make everything smoother?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
the iphone doesnt have a dedicated 3d graphics chip like the droid. the iphones "graphics chip" on the iphone 4 is a layer on the cpu that renders the graphics of the os. the older iphones do have a dedicated graphics chipset, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the droids

iPhone's A4 chipset contains a PowerVR GPU and a Cortex A8 processor core, exactly like the DROID and DROID X (I believe the chipset is manufactured by Samsung).

It has a PowerVR SGX 535 GPU, to be exact. (compared to the DROID's SGX 530)

The 3GS also used the SGX535, and a Cortex A8 core (although in that case, it was an 833MHz Samsung chipset underclocked to 600MHz)

The previous gen (iPhone, iPhone 3G) used a 620MHz ARM11-based chipset underclocked to 412MHz, and a PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU.