One of the biggest selling points for me GONE... HDMI out

Xpain

Reaction score
I read about this, but I took it as a rumor, now it's confirmed.
I'll copy paste it from the user guide pdf:

HDMI
Note: You can view only user-generated content—your
own photos and recorded videos . You cannot view
commercial content—photos or videos that you
purchased and downloaded

This almost killed it for me (got my reasons). I might now wait for a device which I can connect to my HDTV and view my movies, my NES emulator, youtube, etc...

And while dlna I believe is the answer for movies (at home), it won't make a difference for the rest of my concerns...

hendrix

Reaction score
umm wow, that was a big selling point for me as well... I was looking forward to say, renting a movie from BB app and throwing it up on the TV.

OP
Xpain

Xpain

Reaction score
umm wow, that was a big selling point for me as well... I was looking forward to say, renting a movie from BB app and throwing it up on the TV.
That's exactly, word by word, what I wanted to do and thought I was going to be able to do. And the same with the youtube app, emulators, saved movies from my SD card, etc...

VegaLA

Reaction score
But will it be possible to view HD content that you have DL from other sources that you copy from your main PC to the Droid X? If so thats not such a problem.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see someone come out with a solution to that limitation, especially for rooted users.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Once rooted, I am sure there will be an app for that...

soulpatch

Reaction score
If I am home and around my TV then I have a laptop around as is so no worries about that really. Though it was a selling feature to me too I am not going to skip out on it for that.

I imagine someone will create an app to make the system think it is user generated content for your movies and such or some other sort of workaround. Really not worried about it.

sphen22

Reaction score
Yeah was definetely looking forward to yongz emulators with a wii mote on my tv.... not very happy especially as I don't want to root if that is the only way to get around it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How big a SD card has this thing got again? Reason I ask is I have two TiVo's at home and a one hour high definition show usually 5-7 gb long. So a movie would run probably at least 15 gb in 720p HD.

If you got the space I guess it won't be a problem, but if anyone is seriously thinking that you can stream one of these movies in from Netflix or Amazon, I think you better think again. You probably will have to download the movie and then play it. That's with a work around.

And if you're going to end up using a computer anyway why not just download the darn thing right into the computer and not bother with the Droid?

soulpatch

Reaction score
hook - The HDMI out only applies to user generated content on the phone and not what you buy/download to the phone. So even if you DL the movie it would not play via the HDMI.

If you take your DVD and create a DIVX file from it it will not play via HDMI, ect.