Okay, I'm an Id10t...

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
I won't go into the specific's of how it happened, but suffice it to say I performed a comedic string of errors on a scale that would make the most stoic individual laugh or cry at my utter stupidy. I have bricked the OS on my droid, I do still have access to recovery (but it is clock work recovery), and my phone is currently rooted, but not rooted (ie, I loaded the wrong update.zip) I can get my way out of this quagmire (I hope)by loading a nandroid backup I made under SPRecovery, but I can't use the SPRecovery backup with the Clockwork backup.
So I need a way to:

1. Get back SPRecovery so I can load my backup, and pray I can get either clockwork or droidmod to re-root my phone.

or

2. Find a new update.zip file with the proper root in it to properly reapply root, then get SPRecovery back and retreive the backup.

This has been a very humbling experience for me, because I am an IT pro WHO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!! This leads me to come to your doorsteps, hat in hand, begging for your collective help. Please don't think less of me because this... :unsure:

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
Okay, I have got the root version of update.zip - now all I need is someone's kind assistance :)

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
Gaaahhh!!!

It looks like my cable is defective - I hope there is somewhere local to get one that is open on Good Friday...

romanrish

Reaction score
Yeah we use a standard jack so even wally world should have it

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
Standard? What standard size is it, because its not micro usb. (just found out)

alm0614

Reaction score
you can also get a card reader, but the sd card in the card reader, and then just move the update.zip right onto the sd card

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
OK, looks like the factory packed a mini usb into a box that said micro...LOL I just tried the "micro" cable on another mini usb device and it fit. Back to Best Buy I go.

Getting the rooted update.zip run is only half the battle for me. I would like to get back to the droidmod nandroid backup I made. Does anyone know how to flash SPRecovery from bootup? I could follow some of the instructions I found on the internet, but incorrect instructions got me part of the way to where I am now - so I want to make sure I do it right. I don't want to have a $500 dollar brick on my hands, heh. Any kind soul have an answer they can guide me through?

alm0614

Reaction score
why dont you just put the sd card in your computer, copy the nandroid folder to your computer.. flash completely back to stock, re-root it with sprecovery, and then you should be able to get your old restores back

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
OK, looks like the factory packed a mini usb into a box that said micro...LOL I just tried the "micro" cable on another mini usb device and it fit. Back to Best Buy I go.

Getting the rooted update.zip run is only half the battle for me. I would like to get back to the droidmod nandroid backup I made. Does anyone know how to flash SPRecovery from bootup? I could follow some of the instructions I found on the internet, but incorrect instructions got me part of the way to where I am now - so I want to make sure I do it right. I don't want to have a $500 dollar brick on my hands, heh. Any kind soul have an answer they can guide me through?

lets get the brick talk out of your mouth. You aren't bricked and wont be. Honestly the easiest thing for you to do is just do an sbf restore. Then you can re-root with sprecovery. Trying to move files around can really f things up. I would say sbf is more safe than trying to change your recovery.zip without being 100% knowledgeable about what youre doing.

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
OK, where do I get the stock img so I can get the ball rolling.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you make a copy before your initial root? If so, simply place it on your SD card and reflash.

Mike

OP
Q

qwiksylvur

Reaction score
Sadly, I got some very bad advice, and because of it no I do not have any backup img's. I completely ignored the cardinal rule - always keep one hand on the data...