Ok you rooted, now what?

ScottH123

Reaction score
Ok so you guys that have done all this stuff. Rooted, modded, flashed, super-usered, amoled and what not.

What did this really do.

Now you can load "rooted apps", is that really a big deal?

One thing I can see is that it allows you to delete bloatware. Otherwise known as the programs loaded on by Verizon but not wanted by every user. Which would be worth it alone in my opinion.

It will also allow you to tether without having to "pay".

Is the "rooted" phone better? Or is it just not "held back"?

The rooted apps, are they all that and a bag of chips? Do they do things that a non rooted app can't?

Let me add this. I know you guys are tired of us newbies asking some of these questions and I for one appreciate the manner at which you guys answer them over and over.

This site and the sister site are FULL of information. The MUST READS are great and all the instructions are very well written and seem to be easy to follow. Although I have not attempted any of the rooting or more complicated things.

Randyd718

Reaction score
i remember back when i was wondering what all the rooting buzz was about.

the real point to rooting, in my opinion, is running a custom rom rather than running apps with root access. you can get better performance, run newer versions of android faster, and all kinds of functionality/customization that just isnt possible with sense ui

using cm7 myself right now and loving it

CursedArmand

Reaction score
I think a truer analogy would be the difference with using your home PC vs. the computer at the public library. You can get stuff done, but it still feels like you're at the mercy of the Library's IT guy and someone's always looking over your shoulder

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

riko540

Reaction score
The custom roms are why some people do it. I will do it one day but only to get rid of the bloatware that I don't use.

sent from my pocket

djgdroid

Reaction score
Ok, I'm very new to rooting so I'm no expert, but I have noticed that there are rooted apps that do things that regular apps can't like completely backup and restore your phone. Check out what Titanium Backup and ROM Manager can do. You can view these on the Market. These are not competing apps but from what I have read and experienced, they are both needed apps on rooted phones.

OlafTheOx

Reaction score
I'm also a Droid newbie. Since I flashed Cyanogen 6.1 a couple weeks ago, my DInc's battery lasts at least 25% longer. Maybe as much as 35% longer.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App