Official get/keep root after ICS thread

Phreaker47

Reaction score
So, with the rollout officially announced (not available in San Diego yet as of this writing), and everyone visiting this subforum certainly wants to know if they can either:

A) Root ICS after update, or
B) Keep root with Voodoo Rootkeeper after the update.

I'm hoping for B, for simplicity.

This seems almost a given, as many root methods have already been confirmed for ICS, and people have been getting the ICS leaks rooted on the RAZR as well.

So hopefully, this thread won't be around long! dancedroid

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This post sent from a Razr Maxx with ICS that has been rooted, and tethered to my laptop after the mobile hotspot app has been "fixed" ... "Wink* :icon_ devil:dancedroid

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So, with the rollout officially announced (not available in San Diego yet as of this writing), and everyone visiting this subforum certainly wants to know if they can either:

This seems almost a given, as many root methods have already been confirmed for ICS, and people have been getting the ICS leaks rooted on the RAZR as well.

Yes to both questions. You can use the Droid Razr Utility 1.7 to root Ice Cream Sandwich .211 (and other versions). I don't use Voodoo Rootkeeper but I understand it works with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Terri M

Reaction score

I lost my root when the OTA hit, and I had the forever root as well as Voodoo Doorkeeper :/ I did a panic search at 04:30 and found this, and it worked flawlessly!!

Root Achieved For ICS on GSM and CDMA Moto RAZR

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1710871

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Hey guys, was hoping someone could help me. I side loaded the official ics OTA and everything went smooth. However, i can't get the stupid thing to root for the life of me! Superuser is in my app drawer and it was after the OTA. I'm guessing because i was rooted when i side loaded. I've tried using the utility. It runs through steps 1 and 2 without a hitch and on step 3, it says something about I'm already rooted. I've tried titanium backup and updating the binary in super user and both say they could not acquire root. What am i doing wrong...?

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I side loaded while rooted with the /cache and ROM manager method. I saved root before the update with Voodoo OTA.
Flawless and was able to recover root with OTA.
I had to boot into the stock recovery and wipe the cache to get some features working correctly.

rotordroid

Reaction score
Hey guys, was hoping someone could help me. I side loaded the official ics OTA and everything went smooth. However, i can't get the stupid thing to root for the life of me! Superuser is in my app drawer and it was after the OTA. I'm guessing because i was rooted when i side loaded. I've tried using the utility. It runs through steps 1 and 2 without a hitch and on step 3, it says something about I'm already rooted. I've tried titanium backup and updating the binary in super user and both say they could not acquire root. What am i doing wrong...?

You might try following the post above yours, there's a manual method on xda if the 1.7 version utility did not work for you.

cthebadge38

Reaction score
rotordroid said:
You might try following the post above yours, there's a manual method on xda if the 1.7 version utility did not work for you.

Got it! Thanks for your help. I used Matt's utility, the 740 mb one. Worked perfect first time. Not sure what the hang up was

OP
P

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Just installed ICS with the full wipe method... (I couldn't simply unroot and do it, was failing verification)

So yeah, all went without a hitch:

- Matt's util option 1
- Boot straight to recovery (dead android,but pressing both volume buttons brings up menu)
- Full factory wipe
- Install ICS
- Matt's Utility 1.7 to install root

Simple as that. All without a hitch. Just some time reinstalling apps. Titanium backup made it easier to restore some things as well (app settings)

So about two hours grand total, and I have a clean new ICS install with all my stuff back on it. I'm happy.

dbitt59

Reaction score
i was able to keep root with voooodo rootkeeper when ota to 4.04 and also the vzw hot spot hack works on 4.04

ktc1282

Reaction score
Here is my situation. In have the Verizon razr maxx. Its rooted with the clutch debloat ROM. I kind of regret that BC my Facebook isn't integrated anymore. Also I did the sd card hack so I can load more on the phone. Can someone help me step for step how to get ics update to work and root again and also use the sd hack? Bloatware is fine. I tried using voodoo but download wouldn't install. Thanks in advance

jdeeg4276

Reaction score

SaintJimmy08

Reaction score
I followed the xda link and rerooted. It worked like a charm. Ran the script, and within 2 min I was back to a rooted phone. My only issue is, I still don't have superuser access to anything. I looked on my voodoo app, and it says that Im rooted, but dont have root permission granted. I just joined their forum, so I can't ask the question there. Can anyone here help me? How do I regain root permissions again?

natemail

Reaction score
I was able to restore root with titanium and voodoo no problems!

Cinoib

Reaction score
Voodoo to the rescue!

I was able to restore root with titanium and voodoo no problems!

Hi Folks,
So here is how it worked for me... I unrooted with Voodoo, I took the update Sunday afternoon. I installed the update Sunday afternoon. I checked several programs to see that ICS did indeed load and was working. I rerooted with Voodoo. And so far, I have only found a few glitches but overall the whole experiece was text book.

The biggest problem I had was getting Laucher Pro to work consistently. I had to go to the app drawer a few times and replace a few icons. Nothing big. Just rotine.

I am SqLite hacked. I haven't checked yet to see if my SqLite hack worked properly but I am sure it will. We'll see.

I have never installed any leaked versions of ICS.

I have a friend with a Razr (not a Razr Maxx). He is unable to take the ota. He say's it fails. He rooted with Motofail. I don't think he unrooted before attempting to take the update. Several weeks ago he attempted an install of a leaked version of ICS. Any one out there can point me in a direction where I can help my friend? I feel bad for him but in all fairness, he tried to use the leaked version of ICS and then returned to original os.

Thanks in advance.