NVIDIA Updates Tegra Note 7: Android 4.3, AOHDR, new DirectStylus Functions & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tegra-Note-front.jpg

NVIDIA is certainly working hard to improve the value of their new flagship tablet the Tegra Note 7. They just started sending out an update to the device which includes a number of new features and improvements beyond just Android 4.3. Along with the newest version of Jelly Bean, the tablet's stylus experience has been enheanced. Additionally, they added a new Tegra 4 specific AOHDR (Always On High Dynamic Range) camera mode. Here's a quote with the details,

We upgraded our Tegra NOTE 7 tablet platform with an over-the-air update today with new features and capabilities.

We’ve enhanced the Tegra NOTE stylus experience, adding support for left-handed users and improvements in overall response. We’ve also added a DirectStylus help option under the device setting’s menu, a stylus removal and insert notification on the notification bar, and given users the ability to capture the notification bar with full-screen capture.

In addition to these new features, Tegra NOTE 7′s camera gets always-on high-dynamic range (AOHDR) capability, which provides more lifelike images across a range of lighting conditions. AOHDR utilizes Tegra 4’s processing power and Chimera computational photography architecture. We’ve also added video stabilization for shake-free video, in addition to tuning and optimizations to improve camera performance under certain lighting conditions.

From an OS perspective, Tegra Note 7 now sports the Android 4.3 Operating System.

Finally, in addition to security and bug fixes, we’ve added the ability to transfer app and data files from internal memory to an external microSD card.

Look for this update now on your Tegra NOTE 7 tablet from EVGA, ADVENT, Gigabyte, Shenzhen Homecare Technology, ZOTAC and XOLO.

It looks like NVIDIA have made this already impressive device even more impressive with some pretty advanced stuff. Sound off if you think this tablet can compete with the Nexus 7 for your attention. Also, if you are one of the owners of this device, share what you think of the new update!

Source: NVIDIA

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
While I love my N7 WiFi, I think I will dump it and buy a Tegra.
I find the micro-SD card slot, and front facing speakers to be far more relevant than the pen-based writing capability, but I am but one person.
With so many tablets only offering low base memory, I can not understand why this has become the status-quo.
Since I have not priced a current Tegra-7, I think I will begin the hunt.
Even my son's NextBook has a micro-SD card slot and an HDMI port, so WHY did they exclude these options on the N7, if only to make it 'cheaper' as they put it?
There is no rationale for a cheaper device ($70.00) over a more costly device the N7 costs ($199.00 at purchase date), to have twice the features that the more costly device doesn't have.
If the excuse of memory is the basis of the argument, then even this, holds no validity, as the NextBook has 16GB base memory.
The lack of an HDMI port as well as a micro-SD card slot makes me wish I never bought an N7 now.
The two are diametrically different in application purposes and uses, but why such a drastic change in the core architecture?
It is ironic the cheaper device has the more desired features, and costs less than half of the Nexus 7 runs, for the same basic features of a WiFi-only device!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
While I love my N7 WiFi, I think I will dump it and buy a Tegra.
I find the micro-SD card slot, and front facing speakers to be far more relevant than the pen-based writing capability, but I am but one person.
With so many tablets only offering low base memory, I can not understand why this has become the status-quo.
Since I have not priced a current Tegra-7, I think I will begin the hunt.
Even my son's NextBook has a micro-SD card slot and an HDMI port, so WHY did they exclude these options on the N7, if only to make it 'cheaper' as they put it?
There is no rationale for a cheaper device ($70.00) over a more costly device the N7 costs ($199.00 at purchase date), to have twice the features that the more costly device doesn't have.
If the excuse of memory is the basis of the argument, then even this, holds no validity, as the NextBook has 16GB base memory.
The lack of an HDMI port as well as a micro-SD card slot makes me wish I never bought an N7 now.
The two are diametrically different in application purposes and uses, but why such a drastic change in the core architecture?
It is ironic the cheaper device has the more desired features, and costs less than half of the Nexus 7 runs, for the same basic features of a WiFi-only device!

I'm considering leaving the Nexus 7 too for one of these tablets. I love the stylus. Its the same (similar) tech as the Galaxy Note stylus and I love that stylus. I want front facing speakers. My 2013 N7 had stereo speakers but sound mono because one hand is always covering one speaker. I dont' care about an SD card as I stream my music/video so 16 or 32 is fine for me for apps. The only downside is the 1gb of RAM but with 4.3 and 4.4, Android is designed to run on less RAM so that may be fine.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I still want to get a slide-cover for mine but I think $30 is way over priced. I'd be willing to go $10 or maybe $15 but even the iPad ones are less than $10. Update: Currently downloading the 4.3 update. I'm hoping the this tablet will eventually get KitKat but it'll probably be a bit of a wait.