NVIDIA Tegra K1 Shows Up in Benchmarks; Destroys the Snapdragon 801

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
NVIDIA-Tegra-K1-Chip.jpg

Just a few moments ago we shared the first device to hit the market with the NVIDIA Tegra K1 chipset will be a Xiaomi tablet. For folks curious to find out just how fast that new chip will be, we have the scoop on that already. Benchmarks for the chip just showed up online in a device with 4GB of RAM. It is suspected this is an early prototype of the NVIDIA Shield 2. Regardless of what the test device really is, the chipset absolutely dominates its next closest (released) competitor, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 801.

NVIDIA has been claiming that their new Tegra K1 chipset can actually outperform a PS3 or Xbox 360 while using less power than either last-gen console. The benchmark results shown suggest this may not be a wild boast.

The full gamut of benchmarks can be found in the thread below.

Source: PhoneArena

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are all of those benchmarks: (Kraken & SunSpider are "smaller is better" benchmarks.)

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-1.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-2.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-3.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-4.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-5.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-6.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-7.png

tegra-k1-behcnmarks-8.png

NVIDIA-Tegra-K1-Comparison-to-Consoles.jpg

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I hate seeing the 'console in the palm of your hand' lines. When I can run an actual 360 or PS3 quality game on a K1 chipset, then fine, but I want that to be on my 46" TV and see no difference in quality. Using a 5" display on a phone is kind of cheating.

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anytime I hear lines like 'will performs better than gaming consoles', I groan. When they were showing this of at CES I wondered how long it would be till I had actual benchmarks, and not just PR hype.
Thanks for providing.

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I laugh at the GPU and CPU comparisons between Xbox and Playstation. I think they got their numbers backwards, PlayStation is by far way more powerful than Xbox.

After seeing that I take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who cares. Once they are able to manufacture it in enough quantities to infiltrate the market, then we can talk. Until then qualcomm will own the market.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I laugh at the GPU and CPU comparisons between Xbox and Playstation. I think they got their numbers backwards, PlayStation is by far way more powerful than Xbox.

After seeing that I take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

Agreed. I own an Xbox 360, and even I know the PS3 is more powerful. Tegra should do their homework first, before printing paraphernalia.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
The 360's hardware is significantly better than the PS3's. Microsoft approached IBM to make them a custom CPU, Xenon, after they realized the CBE didn't live up to their expectations for computing Direct X. Sure the Xenon only has 3 cores, and the CBE has 8...but the Xenon is dual threaded which brings it up to 6 individual processes. And the CBE only has 7 of the 8 SPE's operational, one of which is locked out for the OS specifically.

While the PS3's GPU, the RSX, has a 50 Mhz increased speed over the 360's Xenos...the increased performance is in ATI's unified pipeline architecture for the 360. Nvidia is even aware of this, which is why they pitted the K1 against the Xenos, even though they made the RSX for the PS3.

So really, this comparison is quite accurate. And you should probably do your own homework before criticizing one of the world's leading graphics companies on how they market their device.