Now I know why the Droid has a removable battery...

jcardona1

Reaction score
...so you could pull the battery out when the damn thing freezes LOL!!!!! but seriously, ive had a lot of instances lately where my phone completely freezes, and the only option is to pull the battery out.

could this be caused by a bad app? is there any way of knowing? i usually uninstall anything that gives me a FC, so im not sure i have something causing problems. i dont have that many apps installed either.

so, what gives?

Briankbl

Reaction score
...so you could pull the battery out when the damn thing freezes LOL!!!!! but seriously, ive had a lot of instances lately where my phone completely freezes, and the only option is to pull the battery out.

could this be caused by a bad app? is there any way of knowing? i usually uninstall anything that gives me a FC, so im not sure i have something causing problems. i dont have that many apps installed either.

so, what gives?

I've been getting a lot of freezes while using Home Replacement apps, mainly PandaHome. I think most of it was due to having 8 Home screens lol. I have since changed to Home++, only using 4 screens now. So far, no problems with freezing.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ive had a couple freezes today, which was a first for a long time. But the phone ends up restarting by itself and i dont have to pull the battery though. Are you running a custom ROM or anything modified?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Likely an app. If it's happening that often and you can't determine the cause you may want to do a factory reset (wipe the device) and start over. And just go slow with adding the apps or changing any settings. I'm running about 69 :)icon_ banana:) apps and have not any problems (only ever one freeze and that was because of SweeterHome). If you take it in to a VZW support a reset will be one of the first things they do anyway so you might as well save yourself the gas.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
yeah the phone is all stock, even stock home. my biggest mod is custom icons through bettercut :)

but i think i may have pinpointed it to one app, Mobile Defense. a little bit after yesterdays update, my phone went nuts, touch screen was freaking out and the phone was freezing. after several battery pulls i was able to gain control and uninstalled mobile defense.

and no freezes today, so im thinking it may have been that app. we'll see how it goes. id really hate to have to restore the whole thing. and it just seems like everytime i wanna show the phone off to friends something goes bad and the phone freezes :(

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
That could def be it. I use Wave Secure for the same purpose. It's been very stable so far. It also allows you to remotely 'wipe' your data should the phone be stolen (when I compared them MD didn't offer that, they may have added since).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is why I am almost hesitant to update an app. If it is working good I dont bother to really update it unless the developer clearly states the update is to fix issues on the droid. Before dolphin 2.0, I had updated dolphon browser and my phone went nuts had to do a battery pull. I uninstalled and reinstalled dolphin broswer before the update and have been avoiding updates ever since.

magdream

Reaction score
I haven't had any freezing problems, but I did experience something interesting. after having my phone unplugged all day I plugged it in to charge. I checked on it later and the charge was at 80%. I checked later and the charge was at 60%. after a final check revealed that the charge was now 50%, I shutdown, took the battery out, waited and reinserted and everything was fine. the charge was working cause the lighting/battery indicator was displayed. the phone felt pretty warm (warmer than usual) before taking the battery out. the only thing I had done prior to this strange behavior, was to dl some app updates. I'm not worried or complaining. just thought I'd share.

JamesX

Reaction score
I had the phone refuse to turn on or charge yesterday.

It was fine when I went to bed. When I woke up it was off and refuse to turn on. Thought Battery got drained so I tried to Charge it and it refused to charge (little white light didn't turn on).

So I did battery pull and it worked. Very annoying. My phone is pretty standard too. Didn't root it and don't have Home Replacement.

sauzin

Reaction score
Well, let me tell you what my experience has been. The first droid I bought crashed nearly every 15 minutes use. Many of the crashes were impossible to reset or reboot without removing the battery. I did a lot of reading, and finally came across a user who also had the problem and resolved it by getting a new droid. I did the same and now my droid has not crashed like that since and it's been months. I have the same software as my previous droid, not to mention my previous droid was crashing prior to me loading any software on it. I've heard some people call droids that crash like mine did "crashing droids" and I believe it an issue with either the ram or the CPU. If you get hard crashes often, you might do a factory reset first. If that doesn't solve the problem, and I mean completely stop the crashes, then get yourself a replacement. You won't regret it.

Reaction score
I had the phone refuse to turn on or charge yesterday.

It was fine when I went to bed. When I woke up it was off and refuse to turn on. Thought Battery got drained so I tried to Charge it and it refused to charge (little white light didn't turn on).

So I did battery pull and it worked. Very annoying. My phone is pretty standard too. Didn't root it and don't have Home Replacement.

this exact scenario has happened to me twice now. wake up, phone off, will not turn on without a battery pull...