Nougat anyone?

R

RETG

Received mine a few days ago, but didn't get around to setting it up. It came with 7.0; however the minute I signed into my google account, it popped up a message that a security update was ready to load. So I allowed it to load the security update. Finished setting up and started to copy over apps that I wanted (I preferred just to copy over apps I will use vs. from the older phone). Then, got a notice there was another update for the sound problem and I let that one load.

Only problems so far:
I uninstalled Google Photos and yes you can uninstall it. My opinion is it was terrible. Played with it for about a half hour, called Verizon tech and they admitted that they get a lot of calls about this app, and suggested a third party app to replace it. It appears that if I load photos from another phone and try and put them into their own album it fails and the app stops. I could put photos taken with THIS camera into an separate albums. The Google photos app failed every time I tried it. Therefore, I spent an hour or two playing with third party gallery apps and ended up with FOTO Gallery. Why they did away with the old Gallery app not sure.

Formatted the SD card (Lexar 64GB UHS 1) to internal storage since the encrypts it and it cannot be used on any other device.

Strange thing happened this AM, when I first turned on the Phone, the Clock App on the first page had moved to its own page, leaving the few apps I had placed on the first (main) page sitting there all by themselves. Not sure why they moved, hope it doesn't happen again or I will think there is a bug.

The phone is slippery as a greased pig; glad I ordered an Otterbox Commuter.

I had ordered a Verizon clear bumper, however, it appears Verizon cannot get this item manufactured correctly. First versions had the charge port opening positioned in the wrong location, and you could not swap out the style backs with it on the phone. New version allows the backs to be swapped without removing the bumper; however, and the opening for the charge connector is in the correct location, it is NOT big enough to allow the factory charger to go far enough in and make a good connection.

Might send it back, might not. Could make the opening larger with a knife or a dremmel and keep it in case I want to change the look of the phone from time-to-time.

It's smoother than my old Turbo, screen is the same, but a bit larger. Like the new google keyboard since you can change colors (minor but what the heck), it's good looking especially with the style back supplied, but all will be covered up with the Otterbox case later today. Actually feel that if I squeezed my hand just right, it would slide out and shoot across the room.

Pictures? Only photos I took yesterday were for setting up, or trying to set up albums in the gallery. Might take a few off the deck later today, that is if it ever stops snowing.:eek:

Not sure what to do with my Turbo.

R

RETG

As far as I know usb a to usb c doesn't turbo charge even if it shows up as it does as there isn't enough voltage, especially from 5v computer port. Let me know if you can actually recharge a drained phone to full in an hour.
My understanding is that you want to use a USB Type C cable that has a 56K ohm resistance built into the power line to prevent the phone from trying to pull the same charge that is supplied on the charger supplied with the phone. If the phone started to draw (for example) a full 3 amps from a computer it might damage the computer.
Here's an article from Benson Leung a Google engineer. If you look on Amazon at the Type C cables, he has writeups on quite a few stating if they pass the test and are safe to use.

Beware of cheap USB Type-C cables, warns Google engineer

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's strange about the clear bumper case. I have one and the charging port cutout is correct. I was under the impression that the black / gray combo bumper had the cutout issue in the first batch and was corrected with the second batch. I bought the black / gray combo and when the cable didn't fit into on it back to Verizon and they apologized & exchanged it for the clear one. I like the clear one better anyhow, it's a little softer material. I guess there was a bad batch of clear bumper cases also? I would take it back to Verizon and ask for an exchange for the newer batch....Mine works fine. Maybe they will let you try it on in the store? They did for me when I showed them how the black / gray case was manufactured wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

R

RETG

Not worried about the bumper, I put an Otterbox on it today and it has a hole big enough for the connector to fit. I'll keep the bumper and maybe in a few months I'll change out the Otterbox for the style shell and the bumper for a month or two, and I'll just whittle it to make it large enough for the connector to fit. Besides, I'm persona non grata in the local Verizon store.:eek: After I got done with them via the corporate headquarters; I'm sure they have my photo on a poster behind the counter.:D

One other note on the phone. I don't remember the main screen (home screen) rotating, maybe I'm mistaken. But this one does.
And I went back in and reformatted the SD card to be removable.
And I wish there were more wallpapers that came with the phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The wallpapers are a little blah on the Z phones, I agree with you there. Definitely not the best stock selection as with previous Moto / Droid phones. Good thing there are plenty of apps to get quality wallpapers.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I actually haven't looked at the wallpapers. I've had this pic of my mom on my phone since she passed away about a year and a half ago.. What apps are good for wallpapers @Sajo? Time to take a peek... If I don't find anything, I could always put Mom back on from time to time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Open the Play Store app > tap search > Wallpaper > enjoy. . Just kidding. I personally don't use any apps to add Wallpaper, so I can't really recommend any. Zedge is pretty popular though and seems to be liked by many people.

Last edited:

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks sajo, have a good night

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

R

RETG

I have read that using dark wallpaper will increase the battery life. I do it cause I like black screens.:p
Two of the wallpapers I picked up from the website.
02072017_1_zpszgvn7poi.jpg~original
02072017_2_zps8ovc4mqo.jpg~original

Last edited by a moderator:

Wadman

Reaction score
I want to upgrade to the moto z from my droid turbo 2. Does the signal refresh hotspot workaround work on the moto z? I read somewhere that signal refresher won't work on N phones. We are on grandfathered unlimited and cannot add the tethering feature to our phones. thanks in advance!