Notification Settings

Treat76

Reaction score
I hope I'm missing something obvious, but this is the one thing driving me crazy with my Droid, which I otherwise love so far. I get the impression that there is no way to differentiate notifications for emails and text messages - is that correct?

For example, when I get a text message, I want a sound notification and for the phone to vibrate. I don't want either sound or vibration when I get an email - the blinking green light on the upper right hand corner of the phone is enough. I don't see how to do this, as both are grouped under notifications. I actually don't even see a way to use vibrate on notifications.

Am I missing something? Thanks!

jdubbs23

Reaction score
I think you are missing something. In your email app go to the menu and in the settings set up your notification how you'd like. Then in you txt message app do the same thing. I have gmail set to play a sound and vibrate. I have handcent set to play a diff sound and vib rate and I have twidroid set to do no sound or vibrate.

Gravy

Reaction score
Vibrate Alert - Exchange

I hope I am not missing anything obvious either, but when I select the vibrate option on my exchange account, then exit the menu it does not work. When I go back to the settings menu, it is not checked....

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off yes txt and email have different notification alerts. Txt only has one for all txts (in the native app), email is alittle different, each email address can have it's own specialed ringtone / vibrate function. So if you have 2 gmails, you could have one vibrate and the other sing michael jackson to you. You have to set each one up in the menu > settings option.

OP
T

Treat76

Reaction score
Thanks. I apparently need to get out of the mentality of a "non-smart phone" where all of these type settings are in the main settings menu for the phone, not in the individual apps. It seems obvious now. Thanks for the help!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I apparently need to get out of the mentality of a "non-smart phone" where all of these type settings are in the main settings menu for the phone, not in the individual apps. It seems obvious now. Thanks for the help!

Not a problem. That's what this forum is for. Helping others out. :reddroid:

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
is there also any way to clear the notifications when you open up the app?
for instance, i get an sms and i opened up sms, read the message and all but the notification on the top bar is still there and wont get cleared unless i manually press clear...

AdilSD

Reaction score
Howe about the LED? Can I set this up to blink only if I have a SMS? Or turn it off entirely?
I didn't find any settings related to the LED.
Thanks,
Adil

kevinosborn

Reaction score
clovis ... if you find a way to clear the notification when an SMS or email is read I'd love to know. The only way I know how to clear the notification is to use the clear all button but I only want it cleared for what I have read (i.e. text or email)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
is there also any way to clear the notifications when you open up the app?
for instance, i get an sms and i opened up sms, read the message and all but the notification on the top bar is still there and wont get cleared unless i manually press clear...
does it clear after you read the sms or e-mail? or do you have to manually 'clear' them from the taskbar?
Howe about the LED? Can I set this up to blink only if I have a SMS? Or turn it off entirely?
I didn't find any settings related to the LED.
Thanks,
Adil

Handcent lets you change the LED color, blink rate for SMS/MMS.

Missed call will allow you to change the LED for calls and other notifications.... not E-mail however.. (unless this has changed)