Not getting Badges/Alerts with TeslaUnread & NovaLaucher.

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Moto Z Force - Android 7.0

I recently started to play around with launchers. Nova Launcher seems to be very popular. I got it running on my phone but noticed I do not get the numerical popup indicators (I think they are called badges) for common apps like VZ Messenger +, VZ Voicemail, Google messenger etc.. I got them fine with the last launcher I used. I'm not sure if that was stock default Moto Z Force launcher, Action 3 or Google Now launcher. I got on some forums & they said to get the app TeslaUnread. I got it & I still don't get the badges. I tried the most common tips, make sure your apps you want like VZ Mess+ are flipped to "ON" inside the TeslaUnread app. Then go to Settings on the phone & put both Nova Launcher & TeslaUnread into "Not Battery Optimized". I rebooted & still no change. I always get the alerts at the top of the home screen like normal, but I liked it when my voicemail or txt apps would show I had 3 or 4 waiting messages. Am I missing something? How do I fix this? Is this an issue with the phone settings of the launcher? Are there cooler/better Launchers to try?
Thanks!

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Do you have Nova Launcher Prime? Or just the free one? Because in the Play Store it states what you get with the Prime version:

Nova Launcher Prime
Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm also using the free version of Nova launcher not the paid upgraded version. I've read for what I'm looking for (getting the badges/alerts to work + TeslaUnread is supposed to make the "Unread Count" work) I don't need the paid version. I'll have to look into that prime option. What is your opinion on some of the launcher that say they have battery & system optimization features. That sounds good but do those features actual work? In the past I've tried some programs on my laptop & never really noticed any improvements. I don't want to be sucked into something that doesn't work.

Dutch7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I don't think that the app provides battery and optimization features to the whole phone, I think they are just saying that they have optimized their app so it doesn't drain the battery as much and it runs faster. If you have just the Nova Launcher you should potentially see the enhancements. The prime option is just those added features.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I had this issue the other day. You need to go into Tesla undread and turn it on/select which apps to get counts for. Then you need to go to nova settings and click on notification badges and select which style. It didn't used to be a two step process so I was confused at first too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
My bad everyone...I didn't notice in Nova settings that there is a grayed out option called "Notification badges". Its only available with Prime version of Nova launcher, thus the reason I'm having the badge issue. Seems like there are a lot of free launchers out there. Not sure I wanna buy a launcher. Thanks for the help!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Go for it. Best set of coin you'll ever spend. Beats all other launchers hands down IMHO. Constantly updated. Minimal fingerprint. Negligible battery usage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk