noob question, please give me a hand, no meanies!

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
bump, helps a little? how do i remane recovery on roootdroidpro? how do i install busybox with out all thr command prompts?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Evil,

Not gonna be able to help with hands-on from where I live. All the info you seek is here on this board, perhaps start with the sticked thread about other important threads. In order what you ned to understand:

1) What is root, and the implications that once you start down this path, there may be no way of going back to OTA's.

2) SDK/ADB for letting the computer "talk" to the phone

3) Busybox for having slightly more commands than adb. Not absolutely necessary but helpful

4) Custom Recoveries from Sholes to allow you to save your current phone image in case of almost brick

5) now it would be safe to try renaming apps or trying a custom rom/themes, etc.

If you are using a Root Explorer or Manager what you are doing is bypassing adb commands. If you do not understand what adb/Busybox is doing by you manually typing commands to move, change, change r/w, mount etc., you may be playing with fire. If you are doing any/all of this without having gotten the Sholes Recovery and back-ups going, you are very likley going to wreck your phone. I think you understand this, but I just wanted to reinforce so that in the event no one will walk you through 1 step at a time you understand that you can find the stuff here. Print it out, study it.

Craig

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nothing against evil, but how about this route?

Can you guys recommend a good basic Linux tuitorial site for him?

Hell, I likely need one myself, having not fooled with it for a few years...

Evil, most of those commands are basic to the OS, you will need to take a little time to read up on it, then it will become clear as to what you are doing when you enter those commands.

What I'm saying is if you can learn the basic methodology, you wont need to rely as much on a step by step, it will become natural. .. :)

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Here is a decent Linux page. As to the commands you have to note that not all commands are available to us, but you can cross-reference the one either on our phones or that are posted in threads to get a definaition of what each command is doing.

One of the things I have done is to do a ls within your busybox directory to get a screen printout in the command line of the available commands. You can use the cut and past to highlight the ls dump in command and paste to notepad/excel. I then used the above website and others to add the definition of each command in excel. Presto, a cheat sheet specific to our flavor of Linux.

http://http://www.computerhope.com/unix.htm#04

Craig

edit: OK, here is my dump from Busybox, showing the available commands. You will have to cross-reference to the definitions for each. And I do not have definitions for everything, as I do not understand what some are, or even if they are commands germain to adbing. What's a "racoon". And pleas check your phone to see what you have available as commands, as they could differ from mine.

vold
dexopt
ln
mtpd
pppd-ril
insmod
rmdir
bthelp
notify
printenv
lsmod
log
monkey
getprop
svc
bugreport
ime
pppd
netstat
smd
gzip
route
start
sendevent
servicemanager
cmp
dalvikvm
ls
chat-ril
fsck_msdos
installd
am
applypatch
chmod
service
rm
picd
kill
sh
dmesg
umount
rmmod
hciattach
racoon
dhcpcd
battd
ap_gain.bin
watchprops
wlan_cu
mkdir
sleep
stop
dd
newfs_msdos
hd
logwrapper
date
tcmd
system_server
bmgr
cat
logcat
dbus-daemon
wpa_supplicant
toolbox
pvrsrvinit
linker
dumpstate
debuggerd
bootanimation
akmd2
SaveBPVer
dumpsys
schedtest
sdptool
reboot
df
surfaceflinger
mount
setprop
dumpcrash
setconsole
dspexec
dvz
mv
bluetoothd
vmstat
chown
app_process
pm
ping
netcfg
ftmipcd
iftop
renice
schedtop
mdm_panicd
ps
wlan_loader
input
su
rild
ioctl
wipe
mediaserver
ifconfig
id
sync
keystore
getevent

Last edited:
OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
thank u for all the help thus far i know im a pain, so i have an idea, i dl the backup 2.0.1 file from droidipedia under un root in case u need to take phone to store, the only things i know ive done are remove VVM email and corp cal apps,, if i revert to the un root atempt, will those missing apps mess phone up? i think i want to to back to non root till i understand Bear is right, im gonna wreck my phone trying to figure it out on my own. will read all info i can before i root again, is that file a way to un root? if not can i another way?
and if i do un root can i keep all the root apps i have on my phone as long as i dont open them? until i root again?

Smitty

Reaction score
Evil, don't feel bad about not understanding all this. I don't either, however, I have read every post on this forum, and other forums regarding rooting my Droid. While I have good understanding of computer language, Linux is almost like starting all over for me. These folks here are very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Just remember when they answer the same questions over and over it gets pretty redundant! Read everything you can, take notes, listen to what others are having problems with. It will help you. Do I feel confident enough to root my Droid, sure. Have I done it yet, nope. Can you screw it up, bet I could. Will I root eventually, yes. When in doubt, read my signature line! Really though, thanx for all the great advice and excellent help from everyone on this forum, it is appreciated.

blake

Reaction score
ok droid rooted:motdroidhoriz::icon_ banana: and i have SUFBS,DroidRootPro, setCPU apps, now i want to learn how to do all the other goodies, i want to get rid of verizon crap apps but i literaly do not understand any of the instructions,
Disable default Verizon crap
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /system/app
mv Email.apk Email.bak
mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak
mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

where do i type this or are these menu buttons i press in su?
, i dont understand what im suposed to do can someone plz dumb this down , what is yaffs2, mv, corpCal, please help!!

also next to sufbs app, there is a superuser permissions app icon when i click there are some + signs with numbers and random letters, when i click it they dissapear, what is that and am i doing something by clicking them?
im begging, if someone will pm me and call or im me through this ill buy u a beer or name your price, thanks for any help

edit: if anyone has any apps they think i should get now that im rooted please feel free to list them, or let me know ANY thing i should not touch as a noob
the emulator on the phone u were taught to use has limited capabilities and was taught to you because its much easier. if u want to learn to use adb (android debugging bridge: terminal from the computer to phone) i could teach you but it might take awhile, it took me forever to learn it and i remember being where u are, it sucks

blake

Reaction score
i could also show you how to get a custom recovery image to idiot proof your phone and install all the goodies, let me know if your still in need evil