Noob - Again!

DataDroid

Reaction score
But not really. First started using these devices when they were called Pocket PCs - Phone Edition, no less, way back when absolutely NOBODY knew what they were, and the only killer app was something called "Avantgo". Hated it when they started calling all such devices "smartphones", which, to original users, were actually much less capable devices than pocket PCs. The so-called phone editions were immediately hacked for internet access, which, eventually, became known as "tethering" (we never called it that!). Hung in there with Microsoft until this year, actually, when I got my first Android, the HTC Thunderbolt. So, here I am, a NOOB - again!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. well I was a Pocket PC gal myself when Avantgo was around. gee that was only...yesterday. LOL. well its a long way from those times and yes technology has grown

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

OP
DataDroid

DataDroid

Reaction score
You're exactly right, that WAS, in fact, only yesterday, but an eon ago in "tech-time". Things have sure moved along fast. There was a time when maybe 1 in 19 people even knew what these devices were, much less what to do with one OTHER than use it as a phone. I'm proud to say that I was doing most all of the things that are being done on them now - way back then. Only back then, everything was a hack, or something you had to manually configure and set up yourself. Ah, the good ole days of a few years ago! :icon_ banana:

OP
DataDroid

DataDroid

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is extremely fast, and powerful, and a huge battery drain, which I don't mind. I took the simpleton's route of replacing it with an extended battery, instead of complaining about it! ;) Problem solved! There are, however, certain issues I can't address so easily: When 3G works, the phone is fast, when 4G works, its incredibly fast, when only 1X is working, I wanna chuck it at the nearest iPhone user!

Also, and this surprised me a bit until I Googled it, and found a solution - the phone tends, to uh, "die" from time to time, totally brick. I have not rooted it (yet), or modded it in any significant fashion. However, one dark and stormy night, I lay me my phone down to rest - and charge - and noticed, before retiring myself, that I didn't get the orange charge light. The next morning, the phone would not turn on, or "boot up", at all. Dead. Nothing!

After several Google searches, I found that many users such as myself had suffered the same fate, several with slightly different solutions, up to and including returning the phone to VZW!

Luckily for me, the simple act of removing my battery for a few minutes, and re-installing it worked - this time! :icon_eek: