No way to enter a network proxy?

prubin3

Reaction score
For a week I was loving my Droid but I'm frustrated today. At work (a school) I wanted to use our wireless network but in order to do so I need to enter a proxy setting (of the form http://proxy....pac) and I see no obvious place to do so. A search online has proven to be somewhere between fruitless and way too technical to bother with. I did have a brief hope when using the voice dialer, saying "proxy" and having a chance to enter the old settings we used to use that I believe still work (involves a port number) but to no avail. So what gives? iphones and ipod touches can do it. Blackberries can do it. I hear Windows Mobile phones can do it. Where's the Android love for us proxy users?

Are there other web browsers for the phone that allow the proxy setting to be entered (ala firefox on desktop computers) though that won't work with other applications and therefore not be a real solution. Seems rather odd.

huskur

Reaction score
For a week I was loving my Droid but I'm frustrated today. At work (a school) I wanted to use our wireless network but in order to do so I need to enter a proxy setting (of the form http://proxy....pac) and I see no obvious place to do so. A search online has proven to be somewhere between fruitless and way too technical to bother with. I did have a brief hope when using the voice dialer, saying "proxy" and having a chance to enter the old settings we used to use that I believe still work (involves a port number) but to no avail. So what gives? iphones and ipod touches can do it. Blackberries can do it. I hear Windows Mobile phones can do it. Where's the Android love for us proxy users?

Are there other web browsers for the phone that allow the proxy setting to be entered (ala firefox on desktop computers) though that won't work with other applications and therefore not be a real solution. Seems rather odd.

there are apps on the market for your problem. Just search "proxy" in the market

OP
P

prubin3

Reaction score
I searched in the market but none of the descriptions clearly indicated that this will work for me.

daevans315

Reaction score
Did you ever fine an app for the droid to do this. I can get on our corporate wifi but not get out because there is no way to enter a proxy.

mgranja

Reaction score
I searched in the market but none of the descriptions clearly indicated that this will work for me.

Try Autoproxy, it supports proxy.pac files, and it's not too technical. (You do need root, though). Just add a new proxy, put the link to the proxy.pac file, and click connect. It will autoconnect to that proxy always when you're on the same network, and disconnect when you're off. Just set it and forget.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im not sure how but i know my dads cell runs off of his works proxy. i could find out how if your really curious but im too to lazy to ask him right now.