No service, think its my fault.

Scrumbine

Reaction score
Hello all.

I put a task manager on my Droid Eris HTC, and I think I shut down some really important software for my phone to connect and also for internet. I am not sure if I should reset the phone to the factory preset or bring into the store, if it is easy enough to fix, I will try. Here is a list of the errors it has while starting now. ( I have turned the task manager program off, but not uninstalled )

- Sorry! The application antivirus (process com.antivirus ) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

- Sorry! The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

- The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

- Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

- Sorry! The application settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Also, I was trying to turn off different things to make phone run faster when I think I screwed it up. Any advice or direction to other threads on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Remove the task killer and do a factory data reset. They will do the reset anyways in the store so might as well try it now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

Scrumbine

Reaction score
I reset to factory preset, and that worked.

If anyone knows what I did wrong, or how I could have fixed without wiping all the apps I had on the phone, please let me know. I would like to not make the same failure again, and if I do, I would like to know how to fix instead of just reset.

Thank you very much.

Scrumbine.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was your rational for installing a task killer? Typically, they cause more problems than them solve. The Android OS was designed to handle/run multiple apps. Let it work for you.

Mike

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Task killers cause a lot of conflicts. Sometimes removing the task killer fixes it but sometimes not. The real issue is Android has a built in task manager. It works very well and any laggyness you have can be caused by any number of things. A task killer usually won't solve the problem.

You shouldn't have lost everything. Once you restarted your apps ahouls have auto restored. If not they are still in your download section of the market.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

Scrumbine

Reaction score
I did not soft reset the phone (turn off) I went to settings and told the phone to go back to the factory preset. The apps are certainly gone, and they are not in the download section of the 'market' I backed up all the files on my computer, and have already used the market to put basicly all the stuff I wanted back on the phone. I did not put the same task killer on, but I did put on another one. Its called 'Memory Task Cleaner' and so far it works quite well. I put 'MemFree' on it also, but there are some things running that I am afraid to turn off for fear of crashing the phone again. If it is safe, I want to turn footprints, peep, people, and stocks off. If I can stop my phone from running Stocks and Peep in particular I want to as I have absolutely no use for them at all, but maybe they are involved in other tasks I cannot shut off.

As to why the task killer, when I go from app to app they run in the back ground even though It does not say anywhere on the phone they are running. So my games and apps and internet goes faster, I guess the battery will last longer too, but as to that I have not noticed yet. If I am doing anything really dumb, please let me know. Also if anyone knows how to keep some of those features I never use from not starting in the first place, that would be awesome.

Thank you to everyone who has input, I do appreciate to learn.

Scrumbine.

P.S. I dont know if it matters, but I have Verizon phone service.

Last edited: