No option to use front facing camera

Reaction score
I just picked up a droid razr maxx from craigslist. I set it all up last night and everything is working fine. This morning I went to use the camera to take a normal picture and noticed that I don't have the option to switch to the front facing one like I had on my regular droid razr. I FDR'd the phone after I got it, and I just got done fastbooting the phone to the official .211 OTA. Neither of these worked in getting the front facing camera option back. Is there a simple option that I'm missing?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
When you're in camera mode, you don't see the swirly arrow?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
A
Reaction score
When you're in camera mode, you don't see the swirly arrow?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

no, all i have is the shutter and an option to switch to video recording right below that

OP
A
Reaction score
here's what my camera screen looks like

Screenshot_2012-08-25-10-55-45.png

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Try installing another camera app... Maybe camera ics. My guess is the phone does not detect the front facing camera but and different camera app won't either but you can find out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
A
Reaction score
Try installing another camera app... Maybe camera ics. My guess is the phone does not detect the front facing camera but and different camera app won't either but you can find out.

I just rooted and am in the process of installing simplex rom...I'll report back in a few minutes

Thanks for the fast responses guys!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It sounds like it is a hardware problem... Non working front facing camera. Believe it or not, the phone is covered by warranty even though you got it at ebay. But you would have to get it back to stock first.

OP
A
Reaction score
All back to stock already and on the phone with verizon

Warranty is null and void with Verizon...time to call and fight with Motorola

djspy

Reaction score
How is the phone covered by warranty if he bought it on eBay? Warranty is why I've shied away from buying from eBay/Craigslist.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Got me, but Verizon will honor a phone 's warranty no matter where you bought it, unless it does not have a clear esn.

OP
A
Reaction score
Got me, but Verizon will honor a phone 's warranty no matter where you bought it, unless it does not have a clear esn.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Verizon was all set to warranty my phone (Tier 2 Tech Support) until they discovered that I did not purchase the phone through Verizon or an authorized retailer (I purchased the phone via craigslist).

Take note people, respect, thankfullness and a good attitude go a long way.

The tech informed me that since I was not the original owner and the phone did not come from Verizon or an authorized retailer, the warranty was void. She stated that my next step would be to contact Motorola directly because the phone has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I repectfully asked if there were any other options or if she could possibly help me further. She told me to hold and that she would speak to her supervisor. A few minutes later, she came back on the line and told me that her supervisor had approved the warranty and that they would ship a refurb out to me.

I accept full responsibility for not checking the phone over for complete functionality before purchasing it. To be honest, the last thing I thought about checking was the front camera. I thanked the Verizon tech profusely because I sincerely appreciated that they bent the rules a little for me.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Verizon was all set to warranty my phone (Tier 2 Tech Support) until they discovered that I did not purchase the phone through Verizon or an authorized retailer (I purchased the phone via craigslist).

Take note people, respect, thankfullness and a good attitude go a long way.

The tech informed me that since I was not the original owner and the phone did not come from Verizon or an authorized retailer, the warranty was void. She stated that my next step would be to contact Motorola directly because the phone has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

I repectfully asked if there were any other options or if she could possibly help me further. She told me to hold and that she would speak to her supervisor. A few minutes later, she came back on the line and told me that her supervisor had approved the warranty and that they would ship a refurb out to me.

I accept full responsibility for not checking the phone over for complete functionality before purchasing it. To be honest, the last thing I thought about checking was the front camera. I thanked the Verizon tech profusely because I sincerely appreciated that they bent the rules a little for me.

You're right that if you conduct yourself in a kind, respectful manner, you'll get much further.

That said, I haven't purchased a phone from Verizon or from an authorized retailer in years, and I've never had any problems getting a warranty replacement when I've needed one. Not once has the question of where I obtained the phone ever been raised. If the phone is under warranty, they've always replaced it. If it needed an insurance replacement instead, I've received those too without issue.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It is possible that the tech person was not aware the phone would be covered but the supervisor knew better, therefore authorized the replacement. I have purchased a phone through craigslist and one through Ebay. Both phones had problems. On two different occasions, years apart, when I took the phones to my Verizon store to see if they could fix them, they decided the phones needed to be replaced. For each, I explained where the phones were purchased (there was no way I wanted to be faced with a $500 charge because they accidentally replaced ones that weren't supposed to be replaced). The Verizon rep explained that it didn't matter. The phones were still listed under warranty and therefore replaceable. In my amazement, they explained it is just something Verizon does.