no need for setcpu?

ci2019

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I am brand new in rooting and overclocking. Froyo pushed me over to the darkside :).

Anyway, I saw on the notes that Pete got rid of the need to use setcpu. I downloaded and installed a 1.25Ghz P3 Kernel, but am still only running at 800mhz. Am I missing something to bump it up?

justjosh

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I am brand new in rooting and overclocking. Froyo pushed me over to the darkside :).

Anyway, I saw on the notes that Pete got rid of the need to use setcpu. I downloaded and installed a 1.25Ghz P3 Kernel, but am still only running at 800mhz. Am I missing something to bump it up?

petes script is broken. if you want to oc past 800 you have to use setcpu for now.

megawatz

Reaction score
1. Dump SetCPU
2. Download overclock widget
3. In settings, set cpu settings to what you want, enable "Diff Freq screen off" and set to lowest amount
4. Enable AutoStart
5. Leave widget on screen wherever you want it.
6. Watch your battery life increase and increace Droid performance!

I saw a guy's EVO with overclock widget and got 21hrs with 49% remaining, with normal use. (a few phone calls, some browsing, emails, facebook, etc.). I'm testing mine now.

B

budmonster

i just flashed ps3droid kernel 800mhz. i clicked on setcpu and it says im not rooted? wtf!

B

budmonster

his rom includes:

Tools & Utilites:
-Flash Image
-Busybox
-Bash Shell
-Zipalign
-Toolbox

dbz443

Reaction score

It specificaly says in the op right next to the no need for set cpu that if you want to clock over 800 u need set cpu

megawatz

Reaction score
his rom includes:

Tools & Utilites:
-Flash Image
-Busybox
-Bash Shell
-Zipalign
-Toolbox

my fault. that's what I get for not reading everything properly.

Not sure, I have the 1Ghz and still had to download busybox through titanium backup to get root access.

OP
C

ci2019

Reaction score

It specificaly says in the op right next to the no need for set cpu that if you want to clock over 800 u need set cpu

Apparently I saw something completely different:
Eliminated the need for SetCPU, AutoKiller, AdFree, TaskManagers, etc. (credit to Pete)

Thanks for the info though

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Pete just copy/pasted his normal changelog into this build. The /system/xbin/pete script that normally takes care of setting the maximum frequency and killing background tasks is NOT included in this rom. This is just a release candidate, to get froyo into our hands as quickly as possible. He's probably still working on it.

To change your frequency, you need to use SetCPU or a similar application. Alternatively, you can do a one-off change of your max frequency like this:
Code:
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
(replace 800000 with your frequency of choice (in Hz)

OP
C

ci2019

Reaction score
1. Dump SetCPU
3. In settings, set cpu settings to what you want, enable "Diff Freq screen off" and set to lowest amount
4. Enable AutoStart

I saw a guy's EVO with overclock widget and got 21hrs with 49% remaining, with normal use. (a few phone calls, some browsing, emails, facebook, etc.). I'm testing mine now.

Thanks a lot. The widget works like a charm. Seems to be restricted to 1.1 though...:(

Pete just copy/pasted his normal changelog into this build. The /system/xbin/pete script that normally takes care of setting the maximum frequency and killing background tasks is NOT included in this rom. This is just a release candidate, to get froyo into our hands as quickly as possible. He's probably still working on it.

To change your frequency, you need to use SetCPU or a similar application. Alternatively, you can do a one-off change of your max frequency like this:
Code:
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
(replace 800000 with your frequency of choice (in Hz)

I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks.

megawatz

Reaction score
Try both maybe?

1. Dump SetCPU
4. Enable AutoStart

Thanks a lot. The widget works like a charm. Seems to be restricted to 1.1 though...:(

No problem. However, you might want to keep it and try se7enLC's method first, reboot, run the widget again, and see what happens. That widget is designed to help maintain your CPU to use what speed it needs, and when the screen is off (and diff freq screen off is enabled) it helps you save battery when you're not using it. I have mine set to 250Mhz when the screen is powered off.