No Email Notifications

GVLBob

Reaction score
Do you mean "minimized" instead of "closed"? If the application is minimized, it is still running.

This should work fine, if you set up things properly. I set up my three email apps (S4, iPad, and desktop) so the desktop email application is where all of the emails are eventually archived. I use the others to read the email (but leave the email on the server once it is read). I keep the desktop application "off" so I can read email on the smartphone and iPad.

If you have two laptops and one desktop all running Outlook, you are likely to have a problem keeping track of your emails (unless you can set up Outlook on two of those to NOT pull the email from the server). It is possible, I think, but not the normal way to set up Outlook.

Perhaps someone here can share the process of setting up multiple Outlook applications so only one pulls the email off of the server. But that topic is not the focus of this forum.

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
Thanks. I went to a couple of those sites last night and combed through my outlook settings. What really gets me is that my wife's IPhone works just fine......

GVLBob

Reaction score
Sometimes, it's a matter of the frequency of polling. If her phone sees it before Outlook, then she will get a notification.

But isn't the easy thing to simply shut down the laptop and desktop Outlook applications if you want to be 100% sure to get the notification light to blink on your phone?

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
I'll try it. It never really gets turned off much is the problem. But, it would be enough for me to make sure that's the issue. I'm not a MS, ATT or Apple fan so I'm kinda screwed.

Dr Fatsides

Reaction score
If it pulls the emails off the server, they then aren't there to be seen by the phone and so no notification would be triggered. I think that is correct.

I think this is correct. I had a problem similar to the OP's. Messages would download to my phone and disappear immediately with no notifications; but they downloaded to and stayed on my desktop until I deleted them.

The answer for me was to find the checkbox in Outlook settings (on my DESKTOP, NOT my phone) that says "Keep a copy of messages on the server." That way, any device that accesses the account can see messages, instead of only the first device to access them. Since my PC is always on, it gets my messages before my phone, which only checks messages periodically.

Hope that helps.

OP
R

rastaman

Reaction score
I have that box checked. If I didn't then the messages would pull down to the first device and be gone from the server.... Right? Seems like I've experienced that before. Maybe I'll try unchecking it and putting a check back.