No Commitment Upgrades On Verizon

TheKevGuy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently an AT&T customer, as you can see *points left*. I'm something of a phone addict and I'm in love with Android phones. AT&T is neglecting the platform (we all know why... cough:iphone:cough). Big Red looks like they're committed to Android with all they're investing to the Droid brand so I'm ready to jump ship.

As mentioned, I'm a phone addict. I've been buying the latest GSM BlackBerries for full retail (called the "***** tax" by some) and just popping in my SIM card, with AT&T being none the wiser.

With CDMA on Verizon, how easy is it to upgrade phones? I've read about the activation process (dialing *228). If I get the Droid Incredible today and then purchase the Droid X in a month for full retail, will I have to call Verizon first or can I activate it myself?

I upgrade phones frequently and if I have to sit on customer support every time and explain why I bought a phone out of contract, I won't be too happy and it could potentially affect my decision to go to Big Red.

DroiDon

Reaction score
Its really easy, and you won't have to explain anything as long as you do it online via your account.

All you have to do is login to your account page, put in the ESN of your new phone and as long as its clean, you're good to go. I had to do this recently and it was maybe a 5 min process at most.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most of the time you can active it yourself. I think 1 time I had to call Verizon and that was my first Blackberry Storm.

OP
T

TheKevGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

On that news, I will probably be a Verizon customer this time next week with Droid in-hand.

Eddie Haskell

Reaction score
I got my Droid today, so far so good. I was going to purchase from a store but went to Overstock.com and bought the Droid for $19.00, had to sign a 2 year agreement but that was my plan anyway. I hope this isn't old news or maybe I paid too much:)
They still want $200.00 in the stores.
I'm talking Motorola Droid, just to clarify

Last edited:

wingsabr

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently an AT&T customer, as you can see *points left*. I'm something of a phone addict and I'm in love with Android phones. AT&T is neglecting the platform (we all know why... cough:iphone:cough). Big Red looks like they're committed to Android with all they're investing to the Droid brand so I'm ready to jump ship.

As mentioned, I'm a phone addict. I've been buying the latest GSM BlackBerries for full retail (called the "***** tax" by some) and just popping in my SIM card, with AT&T being none the wiser.

With CDMA on Verizon, how easy is it to upgrade phones? I've read about the activation process (dialing *228). If I get the Droid Incredible today and then purchase the Droid X in a month for full retail, will I have to call Verizon first or can I activate it myself?

I upgrade phones frequently and if I have to sit on customer support every time and explain why I bought a phone out of contract, I won't be too happy and it could potentially affect my decision to go to Big Red.
I just left AT&T as well. I'm also a phone junkie and once I found about the clean ESN and easy activation process it was bye bye :iphone:, hello dancedroid

eliassami5

Reaction score
incredibly easy..even easier than a sim card because you dont have to worry about even carrying a sim card. Just dial *228 from the phone you want to activate and hit option #3, its not listed as an option but if you go into the store they will tell you to do the same thing. Enter in the number of the phone that you want to transfer the line from and your account pass, a minute later your phone is activated.

OP
T

TheKevGuy

Reaction score
incredibly easy..even easier than a sim card because you dont have to worry about even carrying a sim card. Just dial *228 from the phone you want to activate and hit option #3, its not listed as an option but if you go into the store they will tell you to do the same thing. Enter in the number of the phone that you want to transfer the line from and your account pass, a minute later your phone is activated.

Hmmm, that's even easier than changing the ESN on the webpage.

I was kind of down on going to CDMA (because of the lack of SIM cards) but I think I'm going to dig this *228 thing...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I got my Droid today, so far so good. I was going to purchase from a store but went to Overstock.com and bought the Droid for $19.00, had to sign a 2 year agreement but that was my plan anyway. I hope this isn't old news or maybe I paid too much:)
They still want $200.00 in the stores.
I'm talking Motorola Droid, just to clarify

20 bucks is a great price! Much less than most paid. The internet is a big place, there are deals all over the place. This weekend wirefly has a good deal for 3 different android phones. Free. That's better than $20 but I'd still be very happy to pay $20 vs $200.
Verizon Cell Phone Deals and Verizon Wireless Plans; Free Verizon Phones

Now you just need to wait for it to arrive....and let the fun begin!

Tegamal

Reaction score
If you go into Walmart stores, the Droid is on Rollback for $48.88 with a 2yr contract.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd switch from AT&T. The Moto Droid is $20! That's great!
Hold on to the for a while til the Droid Pro releases and you'll be all set!

Plus you'll get to enjoy much better cell service with Big Red :)

Activation of a new phone is easy. *228, option 1, select 1 to program new phone (turn off old phone first). It'll ask you to program you phone number in, then it'll do the rest :)

jgumphress

Reaction score
Another tech junkie here, and I've swapped my VZW phone more times than I can count and did it all on MyVerizon website. When Palm Treo was hot I swapped everytime the newest one came out. Then came along Droid. Don't see swapping this one for some time.

OP
T

TheKevGuy

Reaction score
Hi guys, me again.

I had my eye on getting the Droid Incredible, but it's backlogged everywhere, so I decided to take up a $20 offer for the Motorola Droid.

Figure I'll get either the Droid 2 or Droid X when they come out later this summer. Thinking the Droid X, that big screen is the sexy.