Nextbit Cancels CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) Version of their Robin Android Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nextbit-robin-both-colors.jpg

It looks like the CDMA version of the Nextbit Robin was simply not meant to be. After months of delays and false starts on the device, the folks at Nextbit had to admit defeat in bringing the Verizon and Sprint version of the phone to market. Apparently it became too cost prohibitive to build.

CEO Tom Moss explained that an expectation of “weeks” became “months,” and “hundreds of thousands of dollars” became “millions.” Moss shared, "We were not sufficiently doubtful of what we were told given everything we already knew from our experience at previous companies. We were too optimistic, too bullish, and, as a result, we have to deal with our biggest fear, disappointing you, our supporters. This is bad for you, and this is bad for us.”

In the end, it probably makes sense for the small startup to focus on a GSM radio international market. They are more likely to hit larger numbers of sales that way. Perhaps if this first device turns into a success they can afford to do more in their next generation devices down the line.

Here's our dedicated section for the Nextbit Robin: Nextbit Robin

Source: Re/Code

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Surprising because of the companies that the founders of this one came from, but not surprising when you consider their size and companies like OnePlus who've been catering the just the GSM market all this time.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't see the draw to these companies. How many people who use Verizon, Sprint, ETC know what a OnePlus is or even this Nextbit?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't see the draw to these companies. How many people who use Verizon, Sprint, ETC know what a OnePlus is or even this Nextbit?
I feel like these companies are too early. If more of the "main" oems were offering devices outside of carrier stores for a period of time, it would make more sense to me.

As we've discussed in other threads, the fact that most people still go to their carrier to get their devices rules these companies out as contenders for the majority of consumers in the market for a new phone.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Everyone asks me where I bought my phone. I told them Google. The don't know what Nexus is. As long as brick stores lock down the phones, these companies have to fight really hard in the States.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nice looking handset. Really too bad it couldn't happen on VZW and Sprint

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, I don't like the idea of offloading stuff to the cloud either. I feel like this phone is too early AND too late. If more people still had unlimited data, this phone would be a great idea, but if you're like me and try to only pay for the least amount of data you need (while still being free to use it how I want), the last thing I'd want is to be having to redownload apps I'd already installed because the phone decided I hadn't used them in a while and offloaded them, but now I need them.