NEWS: Verizon will allow WiFi Hotspot in Android 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qaelith.2112

Reaction score
Sometimes an advertisement can be enlightening. So here's an ad from Verizon for the Droid X that I found this morning in my e-mail:

=====================

Droid X has everything you need to capture and share your favorite moments in High Definition. Starting with an HD camcorder to capture stunning video in 720p resolution. And with the Droid X you can watch them in HD on your HD TV. The Droid X also has an 8-megapixel camera. It’s fully loaded with the features you need to take sharp, beautiful shots every time.

* Download full-length movies and TV shows, plus record and share your own HD videos.
* Huge 4.3" Hi-Res screen for a fantastic video watching experience.
* Watch your favorite shows from major networks and cable providers using the PrimeTime2Go service.
* 3G Mobile HotSpot allows you to share your 3G wireless connection with up to 5 other WiFi enabled devices.

==============

Pay attention to bullet #4. While I have an original Motorola Droid and will just wait out the Droid 2 rather than going for the Droid X, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that when 2.2 is pushed to the original Droid, it too will likely leave intact the mobile hotspot feature, and no reason to think tethering won't also be left intact.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Certainly possible, however you left out that on top of the $30 for unlimeted data, you likely will have the extra $20 to tether, with a 2gb separate limit as indicated for the X.

My feeling is that somehow it won't be native 2.2 wifi, but an app so that VZ can track bandwith usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.