Newer Droid user. Rooted but battery will not hold charge while plugged in AC/DC USB

J

JayK9684

Hello Droid X users. I'm new to the forums and never have posted one before. I have had Droid X since Nov 2010 and dispite it's rebooting issues which is a known problem I am now having even large issues. I'm somewhat tech savy and am learning Droid system still. I decided to root my Droid a couple days ago using z4root. I had installed Open Garden Wifi tethering app. Worked great until I found that the stock battery drained 10-15% every 10 minutes or so. Droid battery drained within 3 hours on AC/USB power. Researched issue and found that these types of apps put a strain on battery and consumption so i uninstalled it and kept PDA net. However I am still having the same issue except it won't hold a charge when connected via usb cable. My phone heats up to a burning temp of over 100% sometimes registering 111%. I compiled a list of the apps I currently have installed. I am running stock rom froyo 2.2.1 with no mods. I did not have this problem prior to rooting my Droid X. Also I used ROM manger to flash current stock rom and backup but screen went black and Droid rebotted. So what program that is free can I use to create backup rom if i decide to stay rooted? Thank you for the help everyone!

AdFree (0.6.4)
Busybox Installer (1.2)
Cloud Print (0.3.0)
Find A Dunkin (2.3b)
GarageMinder (1.1.0)
NinjaMorph (1.3)
Quadrant Standard (1.1.7)
ShootMe (0.8.0)
Adobe Flash Player 10.2 (10.2.157.51)
Alarm Clock Xtreme Free (2.2.2)
Amazon.com (1.1.0)
Answers (0.9.3)
App List Backup (1.0)
AppBrain App Market (5.6)
Application Protect (2.0.35)
ASTRO (2.5.2)
Audiogalaxy (1.10.4)
AutoResponder (1.5.2)
Barcode Scanner (3.53)
BatteryHistory (1.0)
Batteryminder (2.11.0)
Best Parking (1.3)
BestRoute Free (1.7.9)
Blood Alcohol Tracker (1.16.6)
Bookmarks Light (1.2.2)
CallTrack (1.10)
CarHome Ultra (2.46)
Catch (3.0)
CBS MoneyWatch (1.0.1)
ClearCheckbook (1.2.1)
CNET News (1.2)
Coupons (2.02)
Dictionary (2.4)
Dimmer (1.0.2)
Dropbox (1.1.1)
Easy Uninstaller (1.1.0)
Fake-Call Me (1.2.3)
Free Music Download (1.83)
FREEdi YouTube Downloader (2.0 alpha)
GasBuddy (1.14)
GPS Status (3.7)
History Eraser (2.5.5)
iPharmacy (4.1)
iTriage (2.8)
Kelley Blue Book (1.1.7)
Last.fm (1.8.3)
Life Reminders (0.8.6.0)
Light Flow (1.6.4LITE)
Liquor Run Mobile (2.3.0)
Load Monitor (1.4.2)
Metra Minder (1.4.0)
Mint.com (1.7)
Moviefone (1.8.8.1)
MP3 Ringtone Maker (1.91)
Multi Lang Dictionary (4.2.0)
My Cars (1.6.1)
My Work Clock (1.2.6)
MyBookmarks (2.2.0)
MyCar Locator Free (2.2)
myTimeSheet (3.0.3 (Buxfix release))
OpenTable (1.7.2)
OurGroceries (2.0.5)
Paycheck Free (1.0)
PdaNet (2.45)
Percent Calculator (1.9)
Process Monitor Widget (0.8.7)
Quick Settings (1.9.8 p2)
RealCalc (1.6.0)
RepairPal (1.02)
ROM Manager (4.2.0.2)
ScoreMobile (1.4.1)
Screen Filter (1.2)
ShareMyApps (3.1.2)
Silent Toggle Widget (1.2.9)
Simple Notepad (2.2.262)
SMS Backup+ (1.4.3)
SoundHound (2.5.3)
Speed Test (2.0.3)
Spell Checker (2.3.8.1)
Talk To Me Cloud (1.0.3)
Tax Calculator (1.2)
TeslaLED (2.0.4 Galaxy S (Epic/Fascinate), optional LED with screen off or keep screen on, timer fixes, user selectable LED method)
The Discount Calculator Lite (1.1)
The Weather Channel (3.1.0)
Tiny Password Free (1.61)
TipNSplit (1.0.1)
TM World Clock (1.3.0)
Touch Calendar Free (1.0.16)
Translate (2.1)
Volume Locker (1.2.1)
VRec Lite (1.2.01)
W&Y Pages (3.0.6)

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Ok, if your looking to backup your stock ROM you need 2 programs. ROM manager which will allow you to flash clockworkmod recovery and the Droid x bootstrapper app which will allow you to reboot into clockworkmod recovery.

Once in clockworkmod recovery there is an option to "backup and restore". This is where you will make your backup.

BTW - if the rumors and speculations are true you may as well wait until next week to do all of this as it is rumored vzw will be pushing the gingerbread os update late this week beginning of next making any backup of froyo unusable.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
J

JayK9684

Thanks for reply on backup process, however battery drain is not explained...

Ok awesome this is what I had suspected with the backing up and flashing of the roms. I'll have to buy the app Drod X bootstrapper app by Clockworkmod then. Yes, gingerbread is OTA to Droid X's starting on May 13th this is offical from what I have read in news articles. You still have not explained to me why the battery will not charge via usb now that i'm rooted and the fact it get's extremely hot over 100 degrees? Also for the moment I went ahead and uninstalled the WiFi threthering app due to the issues my phone was having from it. My Droid is sitting by my bed side on AC power holding the charge but still not on usb. Could any of the apps I have installed be causing more issues now that i'm rooted?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The usb on your comp acts like a trickle charger, it is charging just very slowly and if your calling for more power than your usb is supplying it will continue to drain your battery.

As far as the heat issue, what are you doing when your phone gets that hot? Streaming video, music, downloading large files over 3G...
And is your phone overclocked?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
BTW- 100° isn't too bad for a Droid, I'm constantly hitting 104-111° with my phone, now you hit the 120's and you should be concerned but keep in mind your phone will automatically shut off if it gets "too hot".

OP
J

JayK9684

Yes I have had it shutoff on me before due to excessive heat. I know for a fact it runs hot while on the car dock, but that's to be given since i'm running GPS/Bluetooth and 3G with Car Home app which I absolutely enjoy using! It runs hot after the first few minutes whether it's accessing one app such as text messaging or the browsing the market. Browser also makes it very hot as well and that's only within the first few minutes of having opened it. Maybe it has a defective battery? I know it burnt up and drained while I had Open Garden tethering app. But I know before root I was using PDA net and the trickle charge on usb didn't happen as my device stayed at a full 100%. I use my Droid manly for business purposes not to just keep in contact with others. Main objective in upgrading to a smart phone was so I could keep more organized! I like the fact it keeps me on top of jobs and helps with scheduled reminders among the other productivity app's out there! I never really had given smart phones a thought always thinking they are too complicated to learn to use, but I must say they do come in handy at times!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
3G will make your phone hotter than wifi because it takes more to download/upload over 3G. Just remember different apps will put your phone under different loads too, so while pdanet doesn't drain your phone it doesn't mean every tether app wont.

OP
J

JayK9684

Oh and Droid is NOT overclocked. I haven't had the chance to toy with the processor. Even that's up for debate. I'm sitting tight till I get this battery issue resolved. Maybe gingerbread with it's improvements in battery pwr management will help. Ive read in the forums I do not have to unroot to receive OTA GB since I have not flashed mod roms....is this information correct?

OP
J

JayK9684

Correct with the apps. But Open Garden was an awesome app. I found that when I had installed a certain Battery Indicator app it was draining my battery while on charge. That was before root and has been since uninstalled. I watched as the battery in car dock started to charge up again, problem was solved. It's extremely difficult to find problematic apps. Do you know of any programs or apps that can do this? If used then have you had any major issues with any of the apps I listed?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Oh and Droid is NOT overclocked. I haven't had the chance to toy with the processor. Even that's up for debate. I'm sitting tight till I get this battery issue resolved. Maybe gingerbread with it's improvements in battery pwr management will help. Ive read in the forums I do not have to unroot to receive OTA GB since I have not flashed mod roms....is this information correct?

That is correct, as long as you are stock froyo with all of the stock bloatware in tact you will still get the ota for gingerbread. So lets say you deleted Madden, you will need to sbf back to stock 2.3.340 to get the ota unless you made a backup before you deleted it.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Two things you can try since you have installed and deleted apps:

1- use the bootstrapper to boot into clockworkmod recovery and wipe the cache. DO NOT do a data wipe unless you want to have your phone in an out of the box state.

You can also go in to "advanced" and wipe the dalvik cache to see if that might help. You will have a longer boot up if you wipe the dalvik cache so don't be alarmed.

2- fully charge your battery, boot into clockwork recovery and wipe your battery stats. If you do this you will need to let your battery fully discharge before you put it back on the charger.