Newbie with a few questions....

dckinnevy

Reaction score
Hi all. I just switched from a Blackberry to the Droid last Thursday. So far, I'm very impressed with the capabilities of the Droid. I'm still learning, but I have some questions. I tried to search the forum for answers to my questions, but didn't really find what I am looking for. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out.
-When I get a text, the person's name and the first couple words scroll across my notification bar. I've changed the setting on this several times to not allow this to happen, but it keeps happening.
-If I get a text while I'm on the phone, the phone will vibrate on my face. Not a very pleasant feeling! I've also changed this setting several times, but it just keeps happening.
-Is there an easier way to make a phone call then going through the phone option and scrolling through my contacts?
-How do you set a specific ringer for a specific contact?

I have more questions, but I don't want to bombard you guys on my first post!
Any feedback anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
answer to bullet #3

long press blank area on home screen - shortcut - direct dial
but be careful; you can easily dial someone by accident with this icon on yr desktop.

welcome to the machine

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For texting: You can try handcent or chomp?? I use handcent and it has all sorts of notification settings.

ringtones: select contact, menukey, options, set ringtone

easy way to call someone? longpress the search key and say "call bill cell"

Welcome aboard!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
-How do you set a specific ringer for a specific contact?

Welcome to the insanity, dckinnevy! OK, I'll take on the last one. Open up your Contacts. If you want to make that contact a Favorite, touch the star by the person's name and it will turn gold. If you want to remove them from your Favorites, touch the star again so it's back to white.

While you're in the profile that you want to assign a specific ringtone to, just touch the Menu soft key at the bottom of your screen and go to Options. The very first option in there lets you select a new ringtone for that contact. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

GerryG35

Reaction score
answer to bullet #3

long press blank area on home screen - shortcut - direct dial
but be careful; you can easily dial someone by accident with this icon on yr desktop.

welcome to the machine
I solved the accidental dialing problem by putting a folder on my home screen and then populating the folder with direct dial (and direct text) widgets. For me it's worth the extra press to open the folder and then press the dial widget.