New X user from Blackberry

Moroney167

Reaction score
2 years of iphone... LOVED it but AT&T is no good in area. Sticking with Verizon I do love the service and reliability is everything. So I went backt o Verizon in November and I went with a Blackberry fro some reason. Figured keep it clean and simple and good for work emails and whatnot. Well im a just BORD TO DEATH of this thing. Hate this little screen on the bold 9650. Software is annoying to have so many mail boxes. Few things I don't like but again loved the iphone. Just nice to not have so many folds and crap to try to get to settings and change simple things. So bought a Droid X used, like new condition only $350 so don't think its to bad. Going to gicve this thing a shot and see if I can not be so thick headed as to try it. I just miss having a real screen and being able to play a game. The blackberry apps are no fun, and everything is so damn expensive. I really think droid is just non stop copying iphone but again, not a smart guy with that stuff and just liked the iphone more. So hopefully I like this thing and can say I joined the Droid crowd..

So any advise for me. I know I need to control my apps and what open thats fine. I am a bit of a nut with it anyway I hated having apps open for multi-tasking. If I don't use it, it iwll be closed and off. Battery is my only worry. I do emails a lot for work so my personal email as we4ll as works. Then texting the friends throughout day.

Also how do I go about music loading. I have all my stuff on my iTune.. will that be a headache or no.

Thanks so much for the rookie questions! HOpefully I pick it up quickly!

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums and i would recommend uninstalling the task killer and installing a task manager. ASTRO file manager is also a good app for managing files on your android. Beautiful widgets is also a nice app for a homescreen weather and clock app. Weatherbug elite is a good weather app if you are a weather nerd like i am. Pandora is good for music lovers. Barcode scanner is also a good app for shoppers. Extended controls is a good way to control bluetooth, gps, brightness, etc... and i also think Bluetooth file transfer for transfering files over BT. I hope this will help you out.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! in addition to the Droid Discussions section (for all things Droid), we also have a separate DX section, with several subforums, devoted entirely to the X. you'll be able to find tons of info responsive to your inquiries, and plenty of friendly people willing to help out. browse around, post around, stick around, and join in the fun!! :)

as for your specific questions, i echo the sentiment regarding task killers - don't install one. the android os is built such that task killers actually cause more problems, and also that they end up working against the os and using more memory than they save.

one big gripe i personally have with droids is the native email app. i never use it. for work, i rely exclusively on Touchdown Exchange. you can get a free 30 day trial in the mkt, but then the full license version is around $20. best money i ever spent, tho - it's a phenomenal app for email!

there are several apps in the mkt for syncing with your itunes music. i use iSyncr, and it has worked nicely for me. i've seen lots of references to other apps, including (i think) mixZing and Twisted...

spend some time with your phone - you'll be amazed at what it can do. and, don't hesitate to post back with questions!

enjoy!

OP
M

Moroney167

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums and i would recommend uninstalling the task killer and installing a task manager. ASTRO file manager is also a good app for managing files on your android. Beautiful widgets is also a nice app for a homescreen weather and clock app. Weatherbug elite is a good weather app if you are a weather nerd like i am. Pandora is good for music lovers. Barcode scanner is also a good app for shoppers. Extended controls is a good way to control bluetooth, gps, brightness, etc... and i also think Bluetooth file transfer for transfering files over BT. I hope this will help you out.

Thanks so much. So your saying there is a bunch of stuff of course the stock phone comes with apps wise that I can delete. Cause I hate all these things come with. Blackberry has so much you can't delete and I hate that! I had to make folders of crap and put on bottom.

Mainly I keep my banking info on there so hopefully banks and credit cards have apps like my iphone did. LOVED paying stuff with a few clicks from an app. Otherwise just a good weather app (As you suggested) for a few locations. I personally don't like the wasted space of the huge flip clock so mnay people have. I like it clean and open. I don't even know how the driod home works but seems theres 3 screens... thats ncie. I like how people have the left side page with some switches to turn gps and bluetooth off. Thats a great thing for me, its like surgery to do that on the blackberry... URGHHH. Thena few simple fun easy games. I like having just a plain map a lot... love maps and when I go anywhere using it. Blackberry is no good for that. Sooo I may even invest on a real GPS system app wise to get more than I do from a maps one it comes iwth. But not to soon I think the map will get me by. At least a real screen to see and touch it all with.

Deff getting the car holster that holds it sideways and gives you "car mode" if you call it that. Simple big buttons for maps or phone and music.. I think i'll like this. As long as I can use iTunes to upload all my tunes.

OP
M

Moroney167

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! in addition to the Droid Discussions section (for all things Droid), we also have a separate DX section, with several subforums, devoted entirely to the X. you'll be able to find tons of info responsive to your inquiries, and plenty of friendly people willing to help out. browse around, post around, stick around, and join in the fun!! :)

as for your specific questions, i echo the sentiment regarding task killers - don't install one. the android os is built such that task killers actually cause more problems, and also that they end up working against the os and using more memory than they save.

one big gripe i personally have with droids is the native email app. i never use it. for work, i rely exclusively on Touchdown Exchange. you can get a free 30 day trial in the mkt, but then the full license version is around $20. best money i ever spent, tho - it's a phenomenal app for email!

there are several apps in the mkt for syncing with your itunes music. i use iSyncr, and it has worked nicely for me. i've seen lots of references to other apps, including (i think) mixZing and Twisted...

spend some time with your phone - you'll be amazed at what it can do. and, don't hesitate to post back with questions!

enjoy!
Thanks so much! I've been browsing... I do need to get my work email and personal emails to work. Yahoo is easy im sure... the work email may be a pain but not the end of the world. Just really nice to use instead of computers.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i made a big assumption that your work email is MS Exchange - that's what TD works with. if it's something else, there are lots of email apps in the mkt - a popular one is K9.

as for banks, the biggies (Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo, etc) have apps in the mkt for mobile banking, with bill pay, transfers, etc.

and, you may want to check your settings - i'm pretty sure the X can have up to 7 homescreens...???

bart2546

Reaction score
I too was very hesitant on going to a Droid but it turned out spectacular with the Droid X. You actually have 7 home screens. The main center one, then 3 to the left of it and 3 to the right of it. On mine for example I use 1 home screen for each "category" if you will.

I use one for system tools, one for media like music and movies, one for games, one for 3rd party tools such as the bar code scanner and on my main home screen I keep my most frequently used apps such as email, texts, weather, a quick link to the camera and camcorder.

The iphone is cool and nice but after getting my Droid I could never go that way. When you have some spare time, go into the Android Marketplace and search through the categories and you can get a good idea of what is out there. Read the reviews of the apps on there and online to get an idea if one will suit your needs or is worth it.

Welcome to the addiction!

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X

OP
M

Moroney167

Reaction score
i made a big assumption that your work email is MS Exchange - that's what TD works with. if it's something else, there are lots of email apps in the mkt - a popular one is K9.

as for banks, the biggies (Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo, etc) have apps in the mkt for mobile banking, with bill pay, transfers, etc.

and, you may want to check your settings - i'm pretty sure the X can have up to 7 homescreens...???

Is there a Key bank app? That is all I really need and i'll be able to pay bills from my bank account online. If not the real web browsing will work to go to regular website and make due from there.

Email, it is weird.. I use to use outlook express to view it. Computer crapped on me now I just go to the servers website via (mail.xxxxx.com) and it gets me there. My domain is the xxx part such as [email protected]. It is threw a PSN (Power Sports Network). So i'll have to figure tha tone out myself. I never got it to work on my iPhone. Blackberry somehow worked in seconds. Just put in the email address and password and worked.

OP
M

Moroney167

Reaction score
I too was very hesitant on going to a Droid but it turned out spectacular with the Droid X. You actually have 7 home screens. The main center one, then 3 to the left of it and 3 to the right of it. On mine for example I use 1 home screen for each "category" if you will.

I use one for system tools, one for media like music and movies, one for games, one for 3rd party tools such as the bar code scanner and on my main home screen I keep my most frequently used apps such as email, texts, weather, a quick link to the camera and camcorder.

The iphone is cool and nice but after getting my Droid I could never go that way. When you have some spare time, go into the Android Marketplace and search through the categories and you can get a good idea of what is out there. Read the reviews of the apps on there and online to get an idea if one will suit your needs or is worth it.

Welcome to the addiction!

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X
Yea 7 screens is awesome. But I hope to keep to a minimum. Home I like open and be able to just have a search bar or something I can just type into and get contacts or internet. Then left should have those widgets to turn off/on my gps bluetooth whatever. To the right all I could picture using is emails and folders for games, and setting stuff. Then a few icons for my bills and banking stuff.

Thanksf or the heads up! I love sittin home on the couch tinkering!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I've been with Verizon forever and im a former BB user too. I agree they are copying Apple and AT&T but Verizon has a better coverage than at&t. if receiving so many thousands of free apps is a good thing, I would say try to stick it out with any of the droids. it does get being used too but so many things to play with it.
give it a 30 day try, im glad I did...lol

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea having something to tinker with is fun and I only use about 4 of my screens. There are a couple banking apps in the market for I think bank of america. 7 screens will be nice after a year or so of adding things when that gets here but if you look into rooting the DX you can remove all the bloat wear and completely customize the phone how you would like it.

Sent from my D2