My Turbo 2 just updated again
d52a3d80834b55ef45b9dd1e6884baa1.jpg

What's in this update?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From what I saw on the Verizon site, it was the same release notes as the original Marshmallow update. Since its just a new system version, probably just bug fixes over the previous system version. The OS is still 6.0, no 6.0.1 for us...yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just posting this here for anyone's FYI that might experience the same thing I did with the 24.14.12 T2 update. After installing it on my phone, it would not recognize the OEM turbo charger. The battery symbol displayed the bolt inside, but I never received the Turbo Power Connected floating notification and the command center would not display Turbo Power. And of course the phone was not charging. I shut it down and cleared the cache, which then reboots the phone. After it re-started I waited a few minutes and then did a forced reboot (hold the power button for 7 seconds until the phone shuts down) and after that it now recognizes the OEM charger and displays the Turbo Power notifications like it should; and it charges normally again. I know some folks have had to replace their phones because of charging issues, but these steps worked for me, maybe it will help someone else.

Jaexyr

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I got Marshmallow, maybe 2 months ago. Yesterday, I got this smaller update, which looked like a new build.
Didn't see any changelog or anything. However..... Today, I noticed my battery was in the red. I plugged in the Turbocharger (Tenergy QuickChargo 2.0), and it wouldn't turbocharge, but for seconds at a time. With the phone off, it would go through a loop of vibrating, charging and turbocharging.... It reached 15%, and Turbocharged just fine.... very odd

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ditto. My phone is running freaking amazingly right now. Easily the best phone I've ever had. THere seriously must have been something off about my old Turbo2.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Mine is running pretty good also, no major complaints. My wife's phone will not Turbo Charge, like others have reported and I am convinced it's software not hardware. So we use a Qi charger and when Moto has replacements in stock I may order a warranty replacement. Other than that her phone runs smooth.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I got Marshmallow, maybe 2 months ago. Yesterday, I got this smaller update, which looked like a new build.
Didn't see any changelog or anything. However..... Today, I noticed my battery was in the red. I plugged in the Turbocharger (Tenergy QuickChargo 2.0), and it wouldn't turbocharge, but for seconds at a time. With the phone off, it would go through a loop of vibrating, charging and turbocharging.... It reached 15%, and Turbocharged just fine.... very odd
Were you able to get your phone charging correctly again?

deadernie

Reaction score
My wife's 64GB T2 maker edition received the first half of the update OTA last week. Now, since Thursday night it won't charge. It was plugged into the factory charger all night Thursday night and woke up to 6% battery. Did get it up to 27% but it took several hours.

Finished the update on WiFi hoping it would fix the problem. No such luck.

I've cleared the cache partition and restarted and force rebooted as described above but still no luck. Still very slow charging and no turbo charging either.

Just put it on the wireless charger in hopes I have better luck.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My wife's 64GB T2 maker edition received the first half of the update OTA last week. Now, since Thursday night it won't charge. It was plugged into the factory charger all night Thursday night and woke up to 6% battery. Did get it up to 27% but it took several hours.

Finished the update on WiFi hoping it would fix the problem. No such luck.

I've cleared the cache partition and restarted and force rebooted as described above but still no luck. Still very slow charging and no turbo charging either.

Just put it on the wireless charger in hopes I have better luck.
From what I have read on the Moto forum, they are replacing the phones under warranty, if it's a Moto Maker phone, since they claim this is a hardware problem. I have also read that Verizon will not replace it because it's bad software and they are telling people to wait for a patch.

In the meantime, you could try this:

Hold the power button for 7+ seconds to force reboot.

Let the phone fully reboot.

Swipe away all notifications.

With the screen off, plug the Turbo charger into the phone first.

Plug the charger into the wall. Wait a few seconds to see if the Turbo Power Connected popup appears.

If not, unplug from the outlet only, plug back into the outlet, wait a few seconds. Repeat if necessary.

If I do that, my wife's phone will sometimes Turbo charge. Otherwise we use a wireless charger.

Good luck with whatever option you pursue. I am still not convinced that this is "bad hardware" that coincidentally failed with a new OS update.

deadernie

Reaction score
Well while I was asleep my wife took the phone off the charger and used it for some period of time and plugged it into the stock charger. It shows it's connected but when going into the battery status it says "not charging". This is new. It's up to 43% and I put it back on the wireless charger and it says "charging wirelessly".

I'll have to try your suggestion and see if I have any luck. I was just hoping if I could get it to 100% it might help since I've read that in other forums. A also read that it seems this problem is happening mostly with the maker editions.

Just tried your suggestion and I didn't get turbo charging but the battery status says "charging via AC" when yesterday it said "charging via USB" when plugged into the stock charger. I'm going to leave it for a while to see if it's charging any quicker.

In the meantime, do I contact Verizon or Motorola about this issue. I've read stories of Verizon trying to replace maker editions with regular refurbs.

Haven't even had these phones three months. I really don't think I should be getting a refurbished replacement.

Just went to check on it again after about 45 min and the status says "not charging".

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Contact whomever you purchased it through.... Motorola if it's a Moto Maker, or Verizon if it was purchased through them. Be polite, but persistent if need be. ask to escalate to the necessary supervisor. Good luck

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
From what I have read on the Moto forum, they are replacing the phones under warranty, if it's a Moto Maker phone, since they claim this is a hardware problem. I have also read that Verizon will not replace it because it's bad software and they are telling people to wait for a patch.

In the meantime, you could try this:

Hold the power button for 7+ seconds to force reboot.

Let the phone fully reboot.

Swipe away all notifications.

With the screen off, plug the Turbo charger into the phone first.

Plug the charger into the wall. Wait a few seconds to see if the Turbo Power Connected popup appears.

If not, unplug from the outlet only, plug back into the outlet, wait a few seconds. Repeat if necessary.

If I do that, my wife's phone will sometimes Turbo charge. Otherwise we use a wireless charger.

Good luck with whatever option you pursue. I am still not convinced that this is "bad hardware" that coincidentally failed with a new OS update.

I would add to this that I suggest you go on to Google Play Store and download an app called ampere (Ampere - Android Apps on Google Play). Install this app and then run it and plug your phone into the turbo charger. You will see a screen pop up and it will indicate that a charger is connected at the top of the screen. It will also give you several indications of what type of connection, whether it's AC or battery, and what type of charging which is important for our phones since it actually does recognize the turbocharger and indicates turbo as the charging type if the phone and charger are working properly. It also tells you if it's charging or not charging both by indication in words and the color of the text.

I have found this application to give me definitive confirmation as to whether or not the phone is charging properly or recognizing the turbo charger. It can prove to you that the phone is not operating properly since you'll see the lightning bolt in the battery up in your status bar and yet the screen will tell you it's not charging both by the color and text. Also it shows you how much amperage the phone is actually receiving at any one time, as well as the minimum amount of amperage it's going down to and the maximum amperage it had gone up to since the last refresh (screen off, then screen on).

I've watched this process continuously for extended periods of time and have noticed that the phone constantly cycles up and down in current while charging, and sometimes dips very low in current rates while other times may go very high, even in excess of 4 amps. If the screen shuts off while monitoring, the next time you go back into the application it wipes clean both the low and high flags and resets them to 0 so then once it detects what current rate it's charging it at that moment, you'll find that both the low and high will set to that number and it will begin recalculating from there.

What I've done to prevent that from happening is go into settings and change the screen timeout to something like 10 minutes so that I can get a good feel for what the charging process looks like. Below are a couple screenshots that should help you including shots showing you the failing charging process with the turbo charger.
8d87d154dc3dabd027325ea82514856c.jpg
This screen is the first one you should see when you plug your turbo charger in, and it begins the process of determining the charging rate.
ff35e08ac2251fa26a229c2ec5222eda.jpg
This is how it should look once the charging rate has been determined and is functioning correctly on a turbo charger. Notice under charge rate it says Turbo.

d3f7b26326df010133e512243437d085.jpg
This is the screen you'll see if the phone's charging process is failing and power is connected but the phone actually thought it was disconnected momentarily and then recognizes that it actually is still connected. You'll notice that there is not a lightning bolt in the battery icon in the status bar at the top.
0de732c7dcd1b3012651d7b82383ab3d.jpg
This is the screen you'll see if you unplug the charger from the phone, or in the case of a failing charge process when the phone doesn't recognize the charger and thinks it has been disconnected.
e1dc65266ee7582b645ecf12098a8a43.jpg
The screen just above is when plugged into the turbocharger but with the turbo charger not being properly recognized, the phone charges at a lower rate.
2733f0d293d035eb0628b4a3ae21176b.jpg
This screen is what happens when you disconnect the phone from the charger, and the turbocharger software tells you how much of a charge you have received thus far. As you'll notice though, the lightning bolt is still in the battery at the top, and so the phone is actually still plugged in. This is another evidence of a failing charging process. This screen would appear when you refresh the screen after it had gone into sleep.
ff165cfe7dc84ccbb06cf3cd478a9ab8.jpg
328e550c224618f7ddf5cd3611f94c24.jpg

This screen above shows the charger is being recognized properly, but it's simply awaiting the data to determine the charging rate.
c0dcf222577921460870eff62c7212aa.jpg
The screen just above is also when plugged into the turbocharger but with the turbo charger not being properly recognized, the phone charges at a lower rate.
d3ad82f8271d8be3f66c3b0807be84cd.jpg

This last screen is one of the screens you'll see if your turbo charger is not being properly recognized by the phone, as is the case of turbos that have been updated to the recent version of marshmallow. From this image you can see that it indicates it is connected to a charger, but clearly is not charging. In this last screen the phone is connected to a Turbocharger as well. This is a well-known problem, Verizon is aware of it and as has been indicated before, they are replacing the phones.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good stuff, as always @FoxKat!

You are welcome @deadernie. Hopefully things work out for the best for you. My wife doesn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new phone, so I have not contacted Moto yet. Turbo charging is not an important feature for her, so she is happy with her wireless charger. It bugs the heck out of me, but it's her phone. About once a week I do what I posted earlier (sometimes I have to repeat the whole process twice) to make it charge on the OEM Turbo charger all night so the battery stays calibrated.