new to the M

stemo

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the RAZR m. I previously had the RAZR maxx that bit the dust this morning. I'm just curious is there anything that I should look out for or add to my RAZR m?

Also how do I remove the Google search bar for the home screen without adding a different launcher.

Dave517

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the RAZR m. I previously had the RAZR maxx that bit the dust this morning. I'm just curious is there anything that I should look out for or add to my RAZR m?

Also how do I remove the Google search bar for the home screen without adding a different launcher.

I'm new to the RAZR M as well, since June 5th. There is nothing to "look out" for that I can tell.

Why do you want to remove the Google search bar on the home screen?

OP
S

stemo

Reaction score
At first I wanted to remove the search bar but it has grown on me and I will keep it lol.

I've only had the phone a couple of hours and love it so far.

Subtle upgrade from my razr maxx.

The only bad thing is my SD card from my razr maxx was apparently damaged and when I put it in the M it says it has a blank SD card. I can't format or anything.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Removing Google search from the screens is possible but it will(or did in the past) shut off all voice input into the phone. Now that you know that is possible here it is:

Settings/ Apps/All/ Google Search/ Disable

Getting back requires Factory reset!

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
One thing I found just recently(had the phone almost a year now) is how to shut the screen off when charging(not simple hitting the power button which will work also).

Settings/ Developer options/Stay Awake/ UNCHECK

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have three Razr M's in my house currently (mine, my wife & my daughter). Seems to be a great phone. Not much I can think of to "Look out for". I used mine hard all weekend, lots of e-mails, forum reading, phone calls, texts, etc, etc. each night when I went to bed I still had over 30% battery and had been off the charger for well over 15 hours...I was impressed. Use it & enjoy it!

OP
S

stemo

Reaction score
So far I love the razr m. It isn't much of a difference from my razr maxx that I had a few days ago.

At first the battery wasn't that great but on day 3 it seems to have taken off and is very comparable to the razr maxx.

Will be looking into rooting next.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
The Razr M and Razr MAXX run extremely similar software; so you're right. There's not much difference between the two phones besides hardware and physical size :)

Starr22

Reaction score
First off let the say that I am very technically challenged... I seem to be having a problem w/ my Razr M is that my wifi keeps going off numerous times a day, the other things that use wifi in my home don't have this problem so don't think it is the router, I was told by someone to hard boot it, I'm have a h**l of a time doing that as it seems not to want to do that every time, now to clarify I am pressing both volumes and the power buttons and when my son found this forum and also another site it said to only press the lower volume one and power but when I did that all it did was take a screen shot.. I didn't find out till it was to late that the battery can't be taken out by me. Also what's up w/ an sd card I put one in but it won't transfer my apps to it? I had games on my other phone but when I couldn't put them on sd I just took all those off and put on my tablet. I only use about 3 apps any way, no music no signing on the internet, no FB or twitter, main reason is that I can't see little things that well so do those type of things on PC, if it wasn't for using a few apps to make a few buck(& GCs) to supplement my fixed income I wouldn't have even bought a smart phone.

So hopefully someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated

Starr22

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
First off let the say that I am very technically challenged... I seem to be having a problem w/ my Razr M is that my wifi keeps going off numerous times a day, the other things that use wifi in my home don't have this problem so don't think it is the router, I was told by someone to hard boot it, I'm have a h**l of a time doing that as it seems not to want to do that every time, now to clarify I am pressing both volumes and the power buttons and when my son found this forum and also another site it said to only press the lower volume one and power but when I did that all it did was take a screen shot.. I didn't find out till it was to late that the battery can't be taken out by me. Also what's up w/ an sd card I put one in but it won't transfer my apps to it? I had games on my other phone but when I couldn't put them on sd I just took all those off and put on my tablet. I only use about 3 apps any way, no music no signing on the internet, no FB or twitter, main reason is that I can't see little things that well so do those type of things on PC, if it wasn't for using a few apps to make a few buck(& GCs) to supplement my fixed income I wouldn't have even bought a smart phone.

So hopefully someone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated

Starr22

welcome to the forum :)

many apps cant be moved to the sd card, this is done to protect the developers work mostly. you can search and install apps to your phone from your pc if that's easier for you.
go to the play store here https://play.google.com/store sign in with the same gmail you put on the phone. you can search and install whatever you like from there, just like you would on the phone.

as for the wifi issue, try restarting your router and check the firmware to see if its up to date.
im not well versed in this area, but there are others here that are. if you still have issues after trying my suggestion, post back and one of our experts will likely help you :)

Starr22

Reaction score
Razr M

Thanks for getting back to me, I did the router stuff that didn't change any thing, I did forget to add to my post that the phone was flashed to a prepaid carrier, also can someone address the issue regarding how to hard boot it not doing a reset which someone on another forum suggested, the wifi comes and goes when it feels like it. What is anyone's take on rooting the phone? All this is frustrating to the technically challenged. :mad:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for getting back to me, I did the router stuff that didn't change any thing, I did forget to add to my post that the phone was flashed to a prepaid carrier, also can someone address the issue regarding how to hard boot it not doing a reset which someone on another forum suggested, the wifi comes and goes when it feels like it. What is anyone's take on rooting the phone? All this is frustrating to the technically challenged. :mad:

Rooting is typically performed by "tech savvy" users; it can be quite complicated. Since you described yourself as "technically challenged", it might not be the best option for you. It does void the warranty on your phone, if you decide to give it a try.

For the hard reboot, I am pretty sure the screen has to be off (just the screen, not the phone). That's why you are taking screenshots when pushing those buttons. Tap the power button to turn the screen off. Then push the power button and volume down together and hold. The screen will come on, don't let go yet. Continue to hold until the screen goes black & let go. The phone will do a hard reboot and turn back on. I just did it with mine to confirm.

Here is what has worked for some with WiFi issues after the JellyBean (JB) update:

Open your WiFi settings and long press your wifi connection. An option pops up to "Forget Network." Select that to remove the wifi connection from your phone.
Then do the reboot described above.
After the phone reboots, turn WiFi on, and re add your router to your phone.

That has woked for some folks, hope it helps you.