New to smartphone just a couple quick questions...

cimeree

Reaction score
Ok newbie I am. Love using a smartphone it is really exceptional. I do have a couple things I can't figure out though.
1. I tried using handset and using lowest res. But I cannot send any pic mail. I can upload pics to emails, fb, etc. But not as a pic message. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

2. My market app died. I know the main suggestion is factory reset. The idea just completely stresses me afraid if losing pics and calendar... Soooo is there another app program I could use out there it a patch for the market? I press market icon and screen goes white and just disappears back to my main page. Any help would be greatly accepted and appreciated. Thanks

SENT from the Tardis express. when it absolutely has to get there yesterday.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's best to factory reset if you are having that problem as others may arise. Your calendar and contacts should be backed up to your gmail. Check that on gmail from a computer. Your sdcard will not get erased so your pictures should be fine. You can try clearing data or cache in market under manage apps first if you want.

It should compress an image if you attach one in messaging so that could be a problem that factory reset will fix too. If not try the go sms app from the market for messaging.

Sent from my Inc2

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
To expand on Stelvs reply to clear data and cache do the following: tap menu>settings>applications>manage applications>all tab (at the top of the screen)>scroll down to market and select it. You may see the buttons flashing and the numbers going crazy. Its a known issue and HTC is working to fix it. Wait for that to stop then tap on clear cache, then clear data.

I use handcent as well and don't have any issues. Try looking in settings as there is a box to check that will automatically resize the pictures for you. You could also uninstall/reinstall the app and see if that helps. Do you have the same problem with the stock messaging app?

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
C

cimeree

Reaction score
I actually did clear th cashe hoping that would help, looks like factory reset is what I have to do.

Also yes in stock messaging it will not let me send pic mail.

Ty for explaining the flashing numbers thing... Haha u thought that was odd.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it much!

Darkpsycho

Reaction score
Since you're new to smartphones and I also had problems sending and receiving pic mail/msgs... 3g HAS to be on to d/l or send a pic msg.

OP
C

cimeree

Reaction score
Ty I had figured out how to dl by turning on 3g to dl incoming pic messages and I did try that to send them but to no avail.

Ok so here is the whole truth... Main reason wanted to avoid reset is I haven't the vaguest idea how to backup anything... I know gmail is used but can't figure out how at all. I'm completely lost in this respect. If I reset ill need to have contacts and calendar backed up. I feel dumb... (Sighs)

So if u (anyone) could point me in the direction of at least where to find out how to do that i think that would be a great start... There is just so much to learn, and figuring out what all the abbreviations and the lingo alone is beginning to really become a huge task.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your phone should automatically backup calendar and contacts if your autosync is on. Go into settings>Accounts & sync> toggle Auto sync off then on again.

Then you need to use a computer to sign into Gmail, the account that us associated with your phone. In Gmail under the mail tab on the left is a contacts tab. If you see your numbers there then it is backed up.

Then on the very top of the page you will see your +user name, gmail, calender, documents, etc. Check those to make sure those are backed up.

To Factory Reset phone go to settings> sd card and phone storage>factory data reset. Do NOT erase sd card. Everything internal will be erased except for sd card. This needs to be done most likely if you are experiencing these problems.

OP
C

cimeree

Reaction score
Ty stelv for the direction.... I did that stuff unfortunately it is not synced although I did the steps u recommended.... I think next stop Verizon store.... Sigh.. thanks everyone for your help!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck.

Sent from my Inc2