New to site

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Nancy. I just got the motorola droid and I'm ready to return it. Just a few little things I don't like but are irritating to me. I'm hoping someone out there can assist me. Is there a way to get rid of all the groupings of my photos? I hate that it's in camera pictures, camera videos, camera media, all pictures and dowloads. I'd like to get rid of the files and just have my pictures on there.
Also, when I go to type in a name to send a text..the letters come up with corresponding numbers..anyway just to go to the name?
The back always seems to come off, so I thought I would just use double sided tape??? OH and on FB..where can I find the INBOX???
Thank you for any help you can give me. Nancy Hanson

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Nancy, first off...welcome to the site. Give the Droid some time before you take it back. Very unique phone and once you learn it...its amazing.

Your picture issue...I will agree, bugged me too how it categorized it. but you'll get use to it and I know find it handy.

Im at work so cant chime in on your other questions but I know others will. Great forum here...so hang in there.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Gallery issue is just the way the gallery is set up. You can eliminate some of the multiple folders by moving your downloaded images (and all images) into the DCIM > camera folder on your SD card (where pictures from your camera are stored) I've got my Droid Gallery to have only 2 groups.... 'camera pictures' and 'camera media'. Download a file explorer to manage your SD card :)

For texting, I'd recommend Handcent SMS. By and far better than the stock messaging. Very customizable. When you enter a contact name in the "to:" field, it will try to match contact names to the letters you're typing. (This is the same for the stock Messaging app as well) Once you select a contact, yes it does switch to displaying their mobile number, but that's the way it works for us right now. You can add multiple recipients by adding a comma after each contact.

The back coming off is a known issue. Search for 'battery door' here on the forums. My recommendation on this would be to go to Motorola's website, open a chat session with a rep, and tell them your door is falling off..... they'll send you a new one :)

I'm not a Facebook-er... so no help there from me.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The picture thing is annoying to say the least but I also know they are coming out with a new viewer in 2.1 which i believe should be released soon. The facebook app is a common complaint, it's just not as good as it should be, and I hope they are working on that. The back for some reason is an issue with alot of people. Within that group of people most have found ways to deal with it, i put half a business card in it and it works fine, some have called Verizon or Motorola and gotten a new back sent to them free of charge and it works just fine. I would suggest calling verizon first to see what they say about the back before you try anything else.

With the text message thing, there are a good number of people that just HATE the default messaging application. If you use a program called "handcent sms" you might find that alot more enjoyable to use.

*EDIT : GRRRR Martin your just a faster typer* :)

OP
N

[email protected]

Reaction score
help with phone

Thank you both. My husband is trying to figure it out...I have no idea!! LOL

OP
N

[email protected]

Reaction score
Oh man

So sorry, HOW do I get the images to the DCIM, sD card..???? I have no idea what any of that means. I think this old lady should have stuck with her "dumb" phone!!

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Hello Nancy, As stated above, that will help you alot. Just point your husband to this thread. Also put the SEARCH BUTTON at the top of the page to work too. There is alot of information on the Forum, all yours for the asking/searching.

Believe me, and the others, once you work through your growing pains with a new device. You will come to love your new DROID !! It is a very nice piece of tech. And fun to play with, especially after you get it set up, just to your own tastes !!!

Good Luck, Lets us all know how you and your Husband Do !!

It's Great to have you Join us all here @ Droid Forums !!! :icon_ banana:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So sorry, HOW do I get the images to the DCIM, sD card..???? I have no idea what any of that means. I think this old lady should have stuck with her "dumb" phone!!
You need to download a file manager from the Market. There are two I would recommend.
EStrongs File Explorer is my app of choice for file managing.
Astro File Manager is another great file manager that many people love.

Either way you can't go wrong. These apps will allow you to browse the folders on your SD card just as you browse folders on your PC :)

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G

No Need to be Sorry. I am 51 myself. None of us knew anything about the DROID when we bought them either. We all had to go through the growing pains :p All it takes is a little bit of reading to enlighten our more mature minds :p

What they are referring to as the DCIM is a folder in the file structure of your Droid. SD CARD, is the storage device that is inserted inside your DROID for the storage of all your media files, picture, music. If you know anything about a typical computer, you know how to move files from here to there. It's pretty much the same thing.

The way you access your DROID in this manner, is attaching you cable between the DROID and your computer. you will need to download drivers for this, so your computer will recognize your DROID. I use a few different software packages to do mine. Motorola Media Link has the required drivers in it's package. This is listed below.

Go here for this software. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16622-moto-phone-portal-droid-pc-media-sync-more-via-wifi.html
I find this the lease invasive way to access your droid. Just Read the instructions before installing this on your DROID.

You can Try Motorola Media Link too found here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/pending-submissions-questions/5470-motorola-media-link-my-droid.html#post152360
This installs on your computer. The you connect your DROID via the cable that came with it to your computer.

Or by using an App (FREE) like ASTRO File Manager, that you can find in the DROIDs Market Place. Using Astro, you can do it all on the DROID, no computer needed. Just reading glasses on my part :p

There are a few ways to do this. Just be cautious of what you do move.

I hope some of this is helpful to you and your husband. Please keep us informed on how you do.
------------------------------------
To Everyone Else, if I have anything wrong here, please chime in. I hate to steer anyone in the wrong direction. But I believe this information is useful to Nancy.

Last edited:
OP
N

[email protected]

Reaction score
Yeah

Hello Everyone, Thanks to all of you, ALMOST everything is perfect! I have ONE more issue. My phone hangs up on me while I am talking..I talked to a Verizon person who told me to go to google and download a new app that was supposed to be out on the 20th called "chubby cheeks". I can't seem to find it under any of the free or paid apps. Has anyone heard of it or know of any other salution to the problem. I haven't seen any other posts about it..I guess I'm the only one out there with fat cheeks :)
Thanks in advance!! Nancy