New to my Droid X Want to Root

Bigpoppa0414

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Well I am new to my Droid X and I really want to root it, after everyone that owns a Droid I knows tell me that I need to. Can someone lead me on a path of where to go to do this. Thanks Alot!

ben.keen

Reaction score
You can do it one of two ways. Either using the ADB shell and command line or search for z4root. You can search on here for the steps for either but z4root will be the easiest if you are unsure about the command and stuff needed for the ADB shell.

Basically, with z4root you download and install an APK file onto your phone and then when you launch the app it will ask if you want to root or not. Click yes, phone reboots, superuser installed, root achieved.

mikex

Reaction score
You can do it one of two ways. Either using the ADB shell and command line or search for z4root. You can search on here for the steps for either but z4root will be the easiest if you are unsure about the command and stuff needed for the ADB shell.

Basically, with z4root you download and install an APK file onto your phone and then when you launch the app it will ask if you want to root or not. Click yes, phone reboots, superuser installed, root achieved.

+1 for z4root for an easy way to get rooted. If you want the rooted gingerbread though head over to droid life. Kellex has some great instructions.

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
BIG p, I'll whip up an apk for you thru mega upload so you'll have z4 root. all you have to do is d/l the link and place on your sd card. Once on SD card, you'll use a file manager app like asto file manager(free on market) once installed on your DX, its literally a one step process. Standby for z4 apk:)

Here you go (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EW90WUQN)..any ?s, holla

SGT DX

Reaction score
Reaction score
I aactually just installed z 4 when I launch gives the option of temporary or permanent do I have a choice don't know if I want permanent I'm a bit of a comitmentphobe and want to be able to to back if I don't like it any advice would be great totally understand about rooting but just to many options

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

D_meist

Reaction score
I would go with permanent root. And if you decide at one point you want to unroot and return your phone to stock you still can. You can return your phone to an "out of box" state using a method called sbf flashing. Simple to do, so no need to worry.

Reaction score
Can you give me the info for the sbf and also maybe a link if you have one or ill just look tomorrow to tired to do it now thank you on advance.
And any advice about what to do with boot loops just in case... want to cover all my bases I e read so much about it all but the more I read the more lost I feel because everyone seems to have a different method...

D_meist

Reaction score
Can you give me the info for the sbf and also maybe a link if you have one or ill just look tomorrow to tired to do it now thank you on advance.
And any advice about what to do with boot loops just in case... want to cover all my bases I e read so much about it all but the more I read the more lost I feel because everyone seems to have a different method...

Here's a link for a tutorial on how to sbf flash. You're going to need to download an .sbf file for your phone. I can't really tell you where to get that but if you google "droid x sbf file" you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

As far as boot loops go, the most common cause of a boot loop is not wiping cache/data before flashing a ROM/update/etc. I almost always wipe data/cache before I flash something just to avoid that. And even if you do boot loop, you can always battery pull, then turn the phone back on while holding the home button. When you see the little android guy with the ! next to him, press the search button. This will bring up a menu which will allow you to factory reset (wipe data/cache) from there. If that doesn't work, well, there's always .sbf flashing! :)

Reaction score
Ok so I tried to so the z4 temporary root right now it ran for like 16 minutes then just froze for about 6 more I put it in airplane mode as suggested what did I do wrong