New to all of this...

Jordan8

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Im a new droid x owner. This is actually my first android device. I rooted my droid x about a week ago originally for wireless tethering. I successfully did that without a problem.

To the point of my thread... Im wanting to try to install a custom rom now. Im afraid I will brick my phone though. Is there a way to be pretty much be brick proof? If I did happen to brick it could I use a backup to restore the phone? I guess what im trying to say is once the phone is bricked.. is it broken for good?

Considering I can get the courage to install it, what rom would you suggest I use?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as you make a backup of the OS you can use the recovery system to restore. Check out the X hacking section for details and rom selections

scubieman

Reaction score
I use Rubix 1.8.6. It works great. A lot of other great ROMS you can try to. Almost all ROMS have a list of features with the ROM and maybe a screenshot.

I would base it off features.

Desicrator

Reaction score
Defense give Rubix 1.8.6 a shot I am loving it. Also check look for the Droid x camera app, cause lets face it is much better then the aosp camera,( atm at least).

And yes I was terrified about bricking it too, but through 3 roms I've survived. I was a nervous wreck tho rooting it lol cause it was all new, even the method I was freaking out. So ya these guys that make the roms and other mods know what they are talking about just follow instructions and you will be cool. Good luck and let us know what rom you pick.

scubieman

Reaction score
Defense give Rubix 1.8.6 a shot I am loving it. Also check look for the Droid x camera app, cause lets face it is much better then the aosp camera,( atm at least).

And yes I was terrified about bricking it too, but through 3 roms I've survived. I was a nervous wreck tho rooting it lol cause it was all new, even the method I was freaking out. So ya these guys that make the roms and other mods know what they are talking about just follow instructions and you will be cool. Good luck and let us know what rom you pick.

Do have a screenshot and APK for this camera mod?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum - anything you need just ask

Desicrator

Reaction score
Do have a screenshot and APK for this camera mod?

Here is the link
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

drocap2 is not really wanting to take a good screenshot, but it is exactly like the camera that comes on the stock Droid x with all the settings and the same look.

I did not make this, I did not separate it from the package, I did nothing but put it on the site.

Also I installed this on rubiX 1.6 and it is working on rubiX 1.8.6. So all the credit goes to Drod.

and lemme know If you can down load the file cause this is the first one I have put on there.

OP
Jordan8

Jordan8

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information its helped abit. Think ill read more into all of this before I try anything though.

EDIT: I've read that titanium backup can restore my apps once I've installed a new rom. But alot of times there will be issues because of it not being supported.
So say I don't use titanium backup, will I have to rebuy/download all of my apps?

EDIT2: What do I use to do a full android backup? Do I need anything else installed incase something messes up& bricks my phone or whatever?

digdug1

Reaction score
You need to install rom manager to do a NANDROID backup.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Jordan8

Jordan8

Reaction score
Okay, I installed rom manager & rebooted into recovery no problem. I didn't see an option to back anything up so I closed it out(didn't change anything). My phone booted like normal& I opened up the rom manager app. I then tried to do a backup via from there. It installed clockwork something anoter then rebooted the phone& when going into recovery the bar with the android guy gets about a quarter of the way& turns into an explanation mark& reboots normal.
I then tried to boot into recovery... same thing gets about a quarter of the way& show the explanation mark & stops& boots normal.

EDIT: I used bootstrap recovery & I have made my backup sucessfully. Not sure why rom manager failed to do so.

EDIT2: Installed the rom Rubix 1.8.6 without a problem:) Debating now if I should install a theme on top of it, such as black juice? Will this effect the performance any or will it be the same as just using rubix for the most part?

EDIT3: Alrighty I installed black juice ontop of rubix. I'm content with my phone for now :)