New solution for Low Memory error with Gingerbread 2.3.4

quadrun1

Reaction score
This is how I fixed my phone... I disclaim any and all responsibility for anyone following these instructions!!!

I *FINALLY* found the culprit in my Verizon HTC Droid Incredible phone with Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

It used to be, that Facebook or the Contacts Directory, or sometimes Mail were the programs taking up space.
But it turns out on my phone at least, I found there is an error log that keeps growing, and it's gotten worse after the Gingerbread update.

To deal with this, you have to root your phone. I've had this phone since it came out, and I've never needed to root until now...

Instructions are at 2.3.4 root,downgrade,and s-off - Android Forums

NOTE: You do NOT have to downgrade and you don't need "S-off", you only need to follow the directions up to where it says "you should now have the superuser app in your app drawer." Be sure to read the special note to users with the SLCD screen.
Go get "Root Explorer" from Market, then navigate to the following directory:
/data/data/com.android.htcprofile
And there is a file called anr_history.txt

For me, it seems to grow by more than 300K per day with unneeded crash log data. Mine was 70+ MB!!!

Delete the file, it's not needed for anything.

This site: HTC Desire Custom A2SD Sense ROM: Free space dwindling gives instructions on how to prevent it from regenerating... when you reboot your phone, the file is re-created. You have to remove write permissions and then change the ownership of the file so that it will not grow again. This can be accomplished with Root Explorer.

Good luck.

ambrown

Reaction score
Helpful, except how do I root without s-off and whatnot? Do I just need to appear to have been rooted?

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

OP
Q

quadrun1

Reaction score
Follow the link above, and as I wrote : " follow the directions up to where it says "you should now have the superuser app in your app drawer." "

You only need root access, and do NOT have to get "S-off", nor do you have to downgrade anything.

It's been 3 weeks now and my low memory error has not come back. I have ~70 MB free under "application data storage".

bill_starr

Reaction score
Yay! This fixed the application data storage problems for me.

I followed up to Step 9 here to get root and then got Root Explorer from the Play Store.

[HOW TO] Fix the "Low on space" problem (in plain English) - xda-developers

I navigated to this file and deleted it. It was 117 MB. My free space went from 10 MB of 149 MB free to 127 MB free. I don't know where I started with free space in October 2010, but this seems like probably just about "new phone" state.

chickaholic

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - pretty good stuff from a newbie ;)! You can help us even more by editing your profile here on the DF to include the model and OS of your phone (I see you posted you are running 2.3.4 but I don't know which model of phone it was on and that can make a difference.) Keep up the good work and have fun!