New phones a little too big

ricks

Reaction score
Is anyone else thinking that these new phones are getting too big. Yeah, I want my phone as big as the one I had in the 90's.dancedroid

FrostMan

Reaction score
This made me think of the BK Small Hands Commercial.

bking-tinyhands07130720.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha, for a while there the trend was going too small.

As long as it fits comfortably in my pocket, bigger screen = better.

In 5-10 years I would guess they'll be "normal" size again with an expandable fold out or roll out screen. Use it like your Droid now, or expand the screen to like 3x8 for power surfing/reading/video. There have been a prototype or two that fizzled for lack of funding in the credit crunch.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

In 5-10 years I would guess they'll be "normal" size again with an expandable fold out or roll out screen. Use it like your Droid now, or expand the screen to like 3x8 for power surfing/reading/video. There have been a prototype or two that fizzled for lack of funding in the credit crunch.

Projector on the wall or HUD on your glasses :)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I dont see how the X could fit in anyones pocket, it looks like a wannabe netbook..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a fine line.

I want my smartphone packed with features and a great display, but where do you draw the line?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a fine line.

I want my smartphone packed with features and a great display, but where do you draw the line?

Somewhere short of assuming everyone has hands the size of Kobe Bryant's.

On the other hand, it seems to me that manufacturers are still unsure where the sweet spot is. There seems to be an emerging "tablet" form factor that overlaps with phones on one side and netbooks on the other. And I've noticed several devices that tout an ability to project a screen on a wall for viewing. As VOIP continues to grow, I expect to see more and more netbook/tablet size devices add functionality to handle voice calls.

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
4.3 should be the standard , I could easily use a 5" phone . I can't wait for the Dell Mini 5 . I don't get it how someone can use all the smartphone functions on a display smaller than 3.5"

him

Reaction score
I think as phones trend more towards trying to be the everything device screen real estate is needed. For web browers spreadsheets and on screen keyboards, its nice to have a screen that allows for bigger web font keys, and such. Tried running remote desktop from a phone...pain in the ass cause of the small screen. Yes you can pinch and zoom but that becomes the only way to really see the text. I personally am happy to see the larger screens. Snag you 1-2 backup batteries and you are ready for a road trip.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont see how the X could fit in anyones pocket, it looks like a wannabe netbook..

No thats the 5" Dell Streak, a confused phone/tablet.....a phablet....

Yea I remember when cellphones were getting smaller n smaller...than the smartphone boom hit, than they started getting bigger n bigger....lol

I remember seeing a clamshell smartphone back in the day looking like a Nokia clamshell cellphone....they might still make em that small

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It wil go where the market swings. It is what it is, everyone try to out do the competitor until people complain or do not support it. It is something that they are trying to balance; you want a device large enough for movies and personal computing, but not too big to where it can not be used as a phone or put in my pocket.
It will be interesting to see if it just become a certain device for a certain market, or if the entire smartphone market go toward that direction.