New Guy

Cooly1911

Reaction score

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome.
If you're wondering where to get kernels, to overclock, then there are a couple options. I know that Chevy's are on the ROM Manager and there's a page, but I don't have the link. P3 is another and you can find them HERE. There may be others but that's all that I've tried.

To apply the P3 kernels, download them and then copy to the root of your sdcard. Rename to update.zip and install either through recovery, installing "update.zip" or if you're going through ROM Manager, then choose Install ROM from sdcard and select the update.zip.

Hope that makes sense.

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
I have a noob question. I just rooted my stock 2.1 - everything went great and now I want to overclock to get a little more punch out of it. I remember when rooting that I had to copy a file update.zip to the sdcard - I never deleted it - should the kernal that I rename to update.zip over-write this file? Should I delete the old one off first?

OP
Cooly1911

Cooly1911

Reaction score
I always delete the update.zip file with astro or ex file explorer, the latter being my favorite, as soon as I'm finished with the update. Leaving to confusion in the future. In fact I usually copy a file to my sd card, verify its the correct one, and then rename it to update.
I have already overclocked my phone to 1g, and plan to go more today.

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Thanks Cooly!
So I can just connect the droid to the computer - delete the old update.zip off the SD card and copy the new one on.

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to kernals? I downloaded the 900 kernal LV 2.1 from P3 - is that a good place to start?

OP
Cooly1911

Cooly1911

Reaction score
I think so, its probably most important to more up a little at a time, test by playing a game or movie, then quickly check temp. Do the stress test for 10 minutes, if no errors and temp is not real high, move up the clock.

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
so start at like 600 then move up through the speeds?
I am also downloading SetCPU.
So the process should be install the kernal - go to SetCPU and set the speed to 600 - play around with the phone for about 10 mins then up the speed if there aren't any issues?
BTW - thanks a lot for your quick and helpful responses - I don't mean to hog your time.

OP
Cooly1911

Cooly1911

Reaction score
That's how I did it, use the stress test in SETCPU in the info tab.

Hey, no problem, I have time today.

Cooly

OP
Cooly1911

Cooly1911

Reaction score
That's how I did it, use the stress test in SETCPU in the info tab.

Hey, no problem, I have time today.

Cooly

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Right now SetCPU is not authorizing nor downloading for me on my phone - so I'll have to wait to do this....
I saw on P3's website that the kernal also allows for wi fi tethering if you download the program from the site - have you done this too?

OP
Cooly1911

Cooly1911

Reaction score
Your phone must be rooted before SETCPU will install.
I've used PdaNet to tether, great program. Haven't tried anything else yet.

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Phone is rooted - but the program won't download from the market - probably a crappy 3G reception....just hangs on "authorizing purchase..."
PDAnet - that would allow me to access the internet on an Ipod Touch that is next to my Android phone? My wife will flip.