New google maps app

war88

Reaction score
I dislike the new google maps app because I can't figure out how to enable a couple of features that used to be present. First, I'd really like a button for zooming in and out so I can use one hand more easily. I know that there was an option to have zoom button on or not on the last version of maps. Second, is there a way to enter navigation mode and just have the navigation show you where you are going on the map without entering a destination? Before, when navigation was a separate app, I could just open that and click on "map" and it would enter navigation and show me where I'm driving around. I need to use this feature for my job, thanks for any help you guys have.

moset

Reaction score
Double tap and slide down to zoom out, up to zoom in.
Tap the compass rose icon at bottom right to toggle, center on current location, orient screen to direction of travel, again to north up. Note the compass arrow upper right when not north up that shows map north.
We have lost other features but the ones you mentioned are there just a different UI to get to them.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
W

war88

Reaction score
Double tap and slide down to zoom out, up to zoom in.
Tap the compass rose icon at bottom right to toggle, center on current location, orient screen to direction of travel, again to north up. Note the compass arrow upper right when not north up that shows map north.
We have lost other features but the ones you mentioned are there just a different UI to get to them.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
That's good info right there, I didn't know about either of those things. I'd still prefer a button but I can get used to the double tapping and sliding. Unfortunately the compass rose icon doesn't do what I'm asking for. It does change the orientation of the map to look more navigation-like. The problem is that the app is not in navigation mode so the screen doesn't stay on like it does in navigation mode. It turns off after how ever long the display sleep is set to on the phone. I just want to use it like you can use a regular GPS to see what streets and roads are coming up without actually entering a destination. That doesn't appear to be possible. Google ****ed this one up big time.

moset

Reaction score
I agree they screwed the pooch with the "update" also lost ruler with altitude from labs and large text. I was hoping they would add area to ruler, instead they axed it.

Google giveth, and Google taketh away.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2