New Droidian

angedroid

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am Angela and hopefully a future Droid user. I have had a BlackBerry for three years and am ready for a change! I am a technophile at heart with an IT background and am super excited about the new Android platform. :)

OP
angedroid

angedroid

Reaction score
Any advice on what hardware is the best? I am looking at Verizon but also see that T-Mobile has devices that use the Android platform. Any guidance would be great :)

Thanks in advance!
Angedroid

nphil

Reaction score
The Nexus one is currently the BEST android phone in terms of raw processing speed available in the market today. But you can always just get a droid and overclock it to 1ghz, since the OMAP 3430 chipsets are incredibly scalable.

Also, I do believe the 3D graphics chipset on the droid is superior to that found on the Nexus One. (Not really sure of this, but I haven't yet found any solid data on the N1's graphics hardware)

So, it's really down to whether you need that slideout keyboard or not, and whether you can stand T-mobile's horrid service!

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Hey and welcome to the forums :)

I'm a Droid user(Verizon), while it's very powerful it does have bugs(Moto side). Some features they just didn't implement well or at all, but most of those can be remedied via apps from the Market.

That being said, I can only truly comment on the Droid, which in spite of it's few shortcomings is an awesome phone.

I have heard some good things about The Nexus One, but know nothing of it.

HTC has several Android based phones out there, some of which aren't getting much love from devs, while others are. Be careful with these because not all of them are getting 2.1 or Flash. There is a list floating somewhere about it. I'm also not a big HTC fan, really.

I <3 my droid. And most droid users are going to say the same, hehe.

OP
angedroid

angedroid

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks you guys for the quick responses! :) There's a Verizon store literally next door to me I am going to have to run over there on my break.

nphil

Reaction score
Ah yes, another thing to note if you're a hardcore modder - it's probably better off to get a Nexus one right now since it's available worldwide and has a wider audience + support from the xda-dev's. Those guys are amazing at getting things done, if anyone has had a HTC Kaiser before you'll know what I'm talking about ;)

Not saying that the Droid is an abandoned device, there's PLENTY of talented dev's out there bringing us new stuff everyday, but not as much compared to N1 development. Give it time and I'm sure the Droid will catch up with the N1!

PS: I own a Droid and love it, wouldn't consider the N1 unless it had a hardware keyboard and better build quality!