New Droid X owner

jacksinnj

Reaction score
I was shown the Sky Map app of a Droid X on a dark night on a cloudless beach. I became fascinated. Besides the initial cost, the monthly minutes & digital access equal what I am paying for my landline, so the Droid X will be replacing that. I also sold my Garmin 255W GPS on eBay to halp offset the investment.

Besides the GPS & having a mobile phone to replace my current one, I am interested in using the Droid to monitor my raiload scanner stream when I am mobile or waiting for trains trackside.

I live in a high location that is in the center of a lot of freight railroad activity. I use a professional Motorola mobile radio to scan all the area railroad channels. A computer then digitizes the audio & sends it to a remote server in Shoutcast mp3 format.

There are quite a few railroad scanner streams around. Most are free for anyone to listen. I made the investment to set up a secure stream linked to a PayPal Subscribe button on the homepage of my stream's Yahoogroup. I only charge $12/year for 24/7 access. This doesn't cover my costs but gives me a good idea of who's listening in case there is ever an issue over 'bad guys' misusing what I'm sending out. Each subscriber is sent a username & password automatically.

While my Droid X won't arrive until the end of the month, I had the time today to check on how I was going to monitor my stream. I checked with the techies at my server provider. Luckily they had a Droid X to work with though no one had ever asked this question before. It took them about 15 minutes to let me know that Streamfurious Pro worked for them.

The tech folks that I dealt with confirmed that they provide other secure streams, so this information may be helpful to others.

OP
J

jacksinnj

Reaction score
One of my stream subscribers responded to a note I posted on my Yahoogroup about using the Droid X to access the secure stream. He uses a Verizon Blackberry Storm & Blackberry media player, which supports username & password. He has to pay for the same Verizon minutes/data package I will be using but his phone cost $100 less. It was really nice to learn this after I had purchased the Droid. But I feel that the Droid X has far more things going for it as well as great future potential for neat new apps.