new droid on the way!

sboman_32

Reaction score
way to close to the equator for my taste...
Hi everyone I woke up this morning to a conformation email from FedEx saying my droid is scheduled for delivery today. I have read many post and seen many people have mentioned using third party apps for email. ( such as yahoo ) Which app is the best? I am a long time Blackberry user and am fed up with BB OS and web browser. Excuse my ignorance to the terminology in this forum but I really don't know what ROOTING my droid means. or installing a new ROM? Can someone help me with this I would be greatly appreciative! :icon_ banana: I'm so excited my droid will be here soon!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi everyone I woke up this morning to a conformation email from FedEx saying my droid is scheduled for delivery today. I have read many post and seen many people have mentioned using third party apps for email. ( such as yahoo ) Which app is the best? I am a long time Blackberry user and am fed up with BB OS and web browser. Excuse my ignorance to the terminology in this forum but I really don't know what ROOTING my droid means. or installing a new ROM? Can someone help me with this I would be greatly appreciative! :icon_ banana: I'm so excited my droid will be here soon!

Welcome to the neighborhood, sboman_32! Congratulations on your new Droid and the birth of your newest addiction! Forget everything about the Blackberry; you're in for a whole new learning curve and a really great adventure! Enjoy!

:byeBB:

Reaction score
I wouldn't root right away (OR as I call it Droot). I still haven't rooted after a month but may eventually. I think the best email app right now is k-9. Give them a try. You can add signatures to K-9 but not to the stock email app.

Enjoy. It's a great device!

Rooting gives you more options and admin control over your phone. You can get into parts of your phone that non-rooting will not allow.

Last edited by a moderator:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey there sboman_32. It's pretty simple, rooting the phone allows you access to areas of the phone which are normally locked for the everyday user. It allows you to install and customize your phone alot more, some do it, some don't, it's a personal choice really, but it also voids the warranty.

Most of the questions you'd have about rooting can be found in the hacks section, most likely under the help section, if not the main section. I know we've sticky'd a few items pertaining to them.

For most emailing, it has a google mail app already on the phone, which you have to have a google account to use the phone so, you have to set one up. It's simple to use. The other email app is the one that most seem to have issues with. It's very basic, and if you need it to connect to your exchange server, it might just be best to go with an app called touchdown. If your using it for some simple mail (yahoo, msn... etc) the mail app can work, it's just mediocre in my opinion.

OP
sboman_32

sboman_32

Reaction score
way to close to the equator for my taste...
ill def. try k-9..... when using my blackberry they had a desktop managar that would create backup files and i'm wondering if theres a program for this for the droid? when talking to a tech guy from verizon he was telling me there was a way to sync my contacts using google?