New Droid Fan

wererich

Reaction score
I just got my new Droid 2. It was a toss up between the 2 and the X and the 2 won out! I've never had a smartphone so this should be interesting. I'm still learning all of the new things that can be done. I'm hoping I can learn from all of you because I really don't have a clue. Is there a shortcut thread somewhere? I really need to figure out how to silence the ringer in a quick moment rather than having to go to settings. I'm surprised that it doesn't allow you to do that from the volume button.

Any specific threads I should start with to get to know my phone better?

Denise

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you can just hold down the volume down to get to silence. I would recommend Phone Silencer....when you silence your phone it will pop up and ask you for how long....

oh....welcome to the club.

OP
W

wererich

Reaction score
I tried that before but it only goes to vibrate. There are many times when I can't have it on vibrate because people look at you just the same as if your phone is ringing. Is phone silencer an app? If so, why do you have to have an app to turn off the ringer? Why didn't they incorporate that to begin with? Thanks for the welcome. I really do love this phone already!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it is an app....you don't need it to turn off ringer....it just allows you to set a time for it to go back to full volume. So, I set it for 12 hours when I arrive to work and don't have to worry about my ringer going off when I am working.

You can disable vibrate or just set it to Vibrate only when on silent...or never. I will post some screenshots for you to see what I am talking about. It's in the sounds menu. Gmail and text have their own settings you have to set from within them.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the sound menu

0c99b823-6e1e-bf33.jpg

Here is the settings options.
0c99b823-6e34-dde8.jpg

Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you look in my notification bar you can see what Phone silencer does.

0c99b823-6ec9-b4b5.jpg

Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.

OP
W

wererich

Reaction score
CJM and Hawaiian Princess, thank you for the welcomes.

Nerdslogic - LOVE the screen shots! I will check out phone silencer. Seems silly like they should have done this automatically but then again, I've owned Samsung devices for several years and just kind of gotten used to having it.

Should I check out any other apps that might make life easier? Is there anything that I should avoid?

You all are great!dancedroid

OP
W

wererich

Reaction score
UPDATE: Installed the phone silencer and it works like a charm! Woo Hoo! Thank you!