New D2G owner

bgrade

Reaction score
Hi guys. I purchased a D2G for use outside the US and it'll arrive in a few days, its not only my first android, its my first smartphone, i've gone through the forum and learned quite a few things to do when i get it for eg to extend battery life.

I was considering installing the fission rom, but i was wondering, what is it about the fission rom that would make me, a new user want to install it, everyone seems to love it but i cant find any decent screenshots or videos about it, how much better/different is it when compared to the stock rom? Should i install it to get rid of all the bloatware or should i just freeze them with titanium backup (one of the many apps i plan on getting)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

As for the Fission rom i haven't seen it yet either.
I recommend freezing the bloatware instead of uninstalling. Also try the phone for a few days stock even before you root it.

OP
B

bgrade

Reaction score
ok, i hear that Blur is a resource/battery hog, is there any way to disable that without installing fission rom?

Genetics

Reaction score
The only way to get rid of blur is to flash with the fission rom.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score

This is untrue.

You can get Titanium Backup (donate) and use it to Freeze all (well, most of) the bloat. The advantage is that it doesn't delete files, it just makes them invisible to your system. When it's time for an OTA update (like last week), you simply unfreeze the files, get your update, then freeze them again.

I just installed Fission last night, and I have to say that while it looked cooler than stock FroYo w/Blur, and ran 120 points higher on quadrant (1733 vs my usual 1610-1620), it didn't work quite right (GPS didn't function in Navigation, even though it worked in other Apps, as well as random reboots, which went into Clockwork Recovery instead of just rebooting... Which caused me to be late to work today). The ROM is a good idea, and I'm sure that with updates, the D2G will be just as stable as the other phones, but it's the newest, and therefore buggiest addition to the ROM.

My personal opinion is that you can get ALMOST as much performance out of a stock ROM, with the right apps.

I use SetCPU to throttle my CPU for screen off/low battery/hot battery, Titanium Backup to freeze all of the stock bloatware, Autokiller to keep RAM free (Mine almost never drops below 200MB free), and quicksettings to quickly and easily turn on/off my GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth/3G/etc.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can also rename them from "blahblah.apk" to "blahblah.apk.bak" in Root Explorer and the system will ignore them that way too.
Either way works but, do NOT uninstall them, trust me!

This is untrue.

You can get Titanium Backup (donate) and use it to Freeze all (well, most of) the bloat. The advantage is that it doesn't delete files, it just makes them invisible to your system. When it's time for an OTA update (like last week), you simply unfreeze the files, get your update, then freeze them again.

I just installed Fission last night, and I have to say that while it looked cooler than stock FroYo w/Blur, and ran 120 points higher on quadrant (1733 vs my usual 1610-1620), it didn't work quite right (GPS didn't function in Navigation, even though it worked in other Apps, as well as random reboots, which went into Clockwork Recovery instead of just rebooting... Which caused me to be late to work today). The ROM is a good idea, and I'm sure that with updates, the D2G will be just as stable as the other phones, but it's the newest, and therefore buggiest addition to the ROM.

My personal opinion is that you can get ALMOST as much performance out of a stock ROM, with the right apps.

I use SetCPU to throttle my CPU for screen off/low battery/hot battery, Titanium Backup to freeze all of the stock bloatware, Autokiller to keep RAM free (Mine almost never drops below 200MB free), and quicksettings to quickly and easily turn on/off my GPS/WiFi/Bluetooth/3G/etc.

DroidForums Junkie!!

tebower

Reaction score
I think it's best to wait a bit before going to a custom ROM on this baby. We just got the SBF this week, and it may take some time to get some really smooth and feature-complete ROMs. I froze everything I didn't want with Titanium, and my phone is quick and polished with Launcher Pro.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As tebower said, "with Titanium Backup". You will need the paid version to do that though.

How does one "freeze" bloatware apps?

DroidForums Junkie!!

OP
B

bgrade

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, i will hold off the custom rom for now, and run stock.

EDIT: what exactly is Launcher Pro?

Genetics

Reaction score
Just because you freeze the bloat does not mean that you get rid of blur.

Last edited:
OP
B

bgrade

Reaction score
So freezing blur doesnt get rid of it but it should stop it from eating up battery right?

oh i forgot, i read somewhere (i think it was this forum) where someone said that when you're done using an app you should use the "back" key instead of the "home" key because using home doesnt really kill the app, it just puts it in the background eating up battery, whereas using the back key does kill it, can anyone else confirm this?

Genetics

Reaction score
Freezing the appz will keep them from running which does help battery life. Blur is baked into the stock rom and gives a lot of the extra features not seen in the stock Apps but it does seem to use more memory and more battery life then stock.

ExodusC

Reaction score
oh i forgot, i read somewhere (i think it was this forum) where someone said that when you're done using an app you should use the "back" key instead of the "home" key because using home doesnt really kill the app, it just puts it in the background eating up battery, whereas using the back key does kill it, can anyone else confirm this?

Personally I have never believed this bit of information. Android does a good job at managing its processes. If you exit out of an application, it will remain in memory, but it won't use the CPU unless it's doing something. The app won't usually do something in the background unless you tell it to; for example, playing music with the music app in the background.

If you want my opinion, Motoblur is slow and obstructive. Maybe I just like the "Google experience" Android, as I owned a Droid and Nexus One in the past, but ever since using Fission, my Droid 2 Global has become usable again.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.