New chip tech ~ in time for Droid2

Elysian

Reaction score
So? Just means you could have more storage... When you can already have 32gb on a tiny MicroSD card, who cares?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Good read. Hope it can lead to more native memory for small devices like our phones.

cb3FSU

Reaction score
I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
So? Just means you could have more storage... When you can already have 32gb on a tiny MicroSD card, who cares?

You really have very little insight into how things work.... YES this is for memory NOW (which in and of itself is HUGE for increasing the memory capacity, I WANT a 32G+ microSD card, oh and actually you can NOT get a 32G microSD card yet) but it's more the WHAT and HOW of the technology.

They are now down to 25nm production techniques. It's only a matter of time before they can use these techniques with more advanced things (like CPUs).... If you have to be told what this means.... But we all have our moments:icon_ banana:.

I wonder if theyll ever be able to use the sd card as RAM the way some computers use a USB Thumb drive.

A more useful technique, IMHO would be to enable programs to install and run on the SD card (thus freeing memory). Then combined with the added memory this new tech you could have 1G+ of RAM on the device.

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score
This may be slightly out of place, if it is Mods please move appropriately. But this news could mean GREAT things for future devices (i.e. Droid 2:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:).

Intel, Micron to Shrink NAND Flash to 25 nm - Reviews by PC Magazine

not really "in time" for DROID2, since Moto has already admitted that something's in the works, most likely meaning the hardware has already been defined and built and they're going through testing.

if it applied to anything, it would be DROID3 or 4.

that functionality is akin to your page file on your HD. using external storage as "RAM" is slower than anything internal. on a phone, i'd think this would be the last thing you'd want to do.

cb3FSU

Reaction score
This may be slightly out of place, if it is Mods please move appropriately. But this news could mean GREAT things for future devices (i.e. Droid 2:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:).

Intel, Micron to Shrink NAND Flash to 25 nm - Reviews by PC Magazine

not really "in time" for DROID2, since Moto has already admitted that something's in the works, most likely meaning the hardware has already been defined and built and they're going through testing.

if it applied to anything, it would be DROID3 or 4.

that functionality is akin to your page file on your HD. using external storage as "RAM" is slower than anything internal. on a phone, i'd think this would be the last thing you'd want to do.

Well, Im a computer dummy and have very little knowledge of how thing works and this proves it :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
think about it this way:

RAM (DDR3) can write at 12800 MB/s
HDDs (SATA-III) can write at 6000 MB/s
SDHC (Class 6) can write at 6 MB/s

That's not to say today's phones have DDR3, but you can see an obvious difference in speed...

OP
KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, Im a computer dummy and have very little knowledge of how thing works and this proves it :)

Lol, fair enough, sorry for sounding a bit harsh. I've retracted the one comment. You'll get there it just takes some time. And admittedly I shouldn't be to hard there's probably very few people out there that understand what any of this means.

604K - Great additions, thanks. And yeah the external RAM, well a cool concept isn't very functional. I'm interested to see if this new tech (the 25nm) increases or decreases the transfer rate potential (no mention of it). But with the possibility this offers it might be a moot point. This could lead to the ability to store MASSIVE amounts of memory right on the device. Having 'removable' memory is nice, but it all reality they could have put 16GB+ on the phone physically .

Last edited:

Silver Member
Reaction score

Lol, fair enough, sorry for sounding a bit harsh. I've retracted the one comment. You'll get there it just takes some time. And admittedly I shouldn't be to hard there's probably very few people out there that understand what any of this means.

604K - Great additions, thanks. And yeah the external RAM, well a cool concept isn't very functional. I'm interested to see if this new tech (the 25nm) increases or decreases the transfer rate potential (no mention of it). But with the possibility this offers it might be a moot point. This could lead to the ability to store MASSIVE amounts of memory right on the device. Having 'removable' memory is nice, but it all reality they could have put 16GB+ on the phone physically .
in reality, there's no reason our phones couldn't have that capability now. it will just mean cooler operating temps in smaller packages. whether phones start utilizing more space or not will ultimately depend on the manufacturer.