New Archos 70 Brings Shame To Other Tablets

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
archos7.png

The year is almost over with the best Android tablet still being the Samsung Galaxy Tab; Archos wants to start the next year by stealing that title. The new Archos 70 is a Windows, Android, and Linux based tablet that is very well priced and comes with a spec list that should make you happy you didn’t jump on the tablet scene too early. The 250 GB, 7 inch tablet has a lot of ups, but sadly isn't all perct, with a few downs. These downs include that disappointing 800x480 screen resolution, oh and not to mention the impressionable slow 1 GHz processor.

Now let’s talk features;

Android 2.2
250-gigabyte hard drive
Processor: ARM Cortex A8 @ 1 GHz
7-inch TFT LCD display at 800x480
Wifi
Dimensions: 7.91x4.49x0.55 inches
Weight: 14 ounces
720p video playback

Anyone looking to acquire a new tablet now?

As a Hi-def multimedia tablet, users will experience:
• A huge storage capacity to store up to 250 movies
• A full multimedia experience, with 720p HD video playback
• Built-in web cam for chatting with friends and family
• With the HDMI output function, you can view the full Android interface on your TV in High Definition, including all the apps, not only video playback like other tablets on the market
• Play 3D games from your TV and use your tablet as the steering-wheel/control
• Unique Android Multimedia applications designed by ARCHOS such as:
o Movie information and cover retrieval in video file info dialog
o 3D animated photo frame with ability to display pictures from Facebook, Flickr and Picassa directly through WiFi
o Music cover carrousel allows quick browsing of your music album covers
• A lot of applications with Appslib to fit your lifestyle including games, books, music, social media, recipes, news and sports

Source (Archos 70 available now for $350, sports 250GB hard drive, Android 2.2 | Android Central)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
It will be good, but that processor is going to hurt it where Windows is involved. If the we other tablets want to be competitive, they MUST get focused and serious. And stop trying to throw in everything and the kitchen sink. Pick something to do and do it well instead of a lot of things mediocre. That is what will kill them. The lack of focus. I like the direction of this but see a fair amount of inherent problems as well.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is just a wild statement for me to make... but why not just throw in a crappy but better atom processor? My netbook last a long time, granted it isnt a touchscreen. an atom i think is around 1.5ghz... which would definetly be a great way to run android.

Detonation

Reaction score
250GB hard drive is nice but is overkill...a solid state drive would have been a much better choice for a tablet.

This thing might have the best specs as of right now, but I think the upcoming tablets (such as the Moto honeycomb tablet) will blow this thing away.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Lol i actually have it.

Its great but out of the box it came clocked @ 800 mhz.
Ive tried rooting with z4 and its been unsuccesful, ill try other methods later, ive got a first impressions thread around here somewhere. Actually its a thread where i ordered it and then posted first impressions after playing with it. Ive had it about a day and a half already, first problems were getting the right market on it, then installing the home replacement i wanted, and other apps that just wont show in this market due to lack of specific hardware (like gps, google maps didnt show, but i got a workaround and now have latest maps installed).
Sent from my A70H using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
This is just a wild statement for me to make... but why not just throw in a crappy but better atom processor? My netbook last a long time, granted it isnt a touchscreen. an atom i think is around 1.5ghz... which would definetly be a great way to run android.

How long? My netbook runs for 8 to 9 hours. This tanlet is supposed to be similar ( of course i have the very first toshiba netbook that they ever produced, so it only has a 160 gb hd, but whose counting?).

So far i havent seen the hard drive really limiting my power usage yet, we will see over time, im not sure my tablets battery meter is calibrated fully yet.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Btw, the attempted z4 rooting came after i upgraded to latest archos firmware, which is Android 2.2.1

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

How long? My netbook runs for 8 to 9 hours. This tanlet is supposed to be similar ( of course i have the very first toshiba netbook that they ever produced, so it only has a 160 gb hd, but whose counting?).

So far i havent seen the hard drive really limiting my power usage yet, we will see over time, im not sure my tablets battery meter is calibrated fully yet.

It last a good 10 hours. Mines a compaq mini, and i basically just do internet with it. i leave it sitting on my desk for a long time while unplugged... my sister lost her chord so she steals mine. I just wish some company will match a netbooks specs with these tablets. Tablets should be as good as netbooks, not just as good as cell phones. this archos is nice, i just wish the processor had been better, and considering the atom processor is out, why not just use it. tack on a 100 bucks just for craps and giggles...450 for a 250gb hd and 1.5 ghz processor would be mighty fine. Screw the resolution, id buy that like it is. At Vz, the price of galaxy is $600! Youd be getting bad resolution, but id be fine with the tradoff.

Their is 0 chance of me buying a tablet for $600. i can get a great netbook for that or a mediocre laptop. Match the prices VZ! All im sayin....

ABNER.STERLING

Reaction score
The year is almost over with the best Android tablet still being the Samsung Galaxy Tab; Archos wants to start the next year by stealing that title.

RemyL75

Reaction score
The year is almost over with the best Android tablet still being the Samsung Galaxy Tab; Archos wants to start the next year by stealing that title.

This Tablet was actually released more than a month ago, even the 250GB model. If they haven't stolen the title by now, then it's not going to happen.

This and the Archos 101 are both good tablets, but what's hurting them the most is availability, or lack thereof. You can't even purchase them on the Archos website right now (they can't keep them in stock). If Archos can find a way to keep up with demand, then they could have a real contender.

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I have an Archos 101, its a great tablet. Cant compare to the ipad or galaxy tab though. Its kind rough UI wise. Viewing angles are terrible on it. Dont get me wrong, I love the hell out of it, but it NEEDS CUSTOM ROMS bad!! and root acess on the latest firmware (froyo). All in all a great tablet, but its not worth more than the $300 I paid for it.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I have an Archos 101, its a great tablet. Cant compare to the ipad or galaxy tab though. Its kind rough UI wise. Viewing angles are terrible on it. Dont get me wrong, I love the hell out of it, but it NEEDS CUSTOM ROMS bad!! and root acess on the latest firmware (froyo). All in all a great tablet, but its not worth more than the $300 I paid for it.

I thought Froyo was released for it around 3 weeks ago??

Bilgediver

Reaction score
It was. As i said i have the Archos 70 250GB tablet and i already updated to the 2.071 firmware, which is Android 2.2.1.

btw, i purchased my tablet at www.Droidpad.com

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Having a harddrive will lead to bad battery life, with all those moving components. I would rather it have a solid-state drive. Less power needs. I am also waiting to see how the Moto tab fairs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk