NES/SNES/N64 Emulators

Superman

Reaction score
Recommendations?

This is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. Can anyone shed some light who has been using Android? Will any of these work? Will we need new ones to take advantage of the new resolution?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering this myself, my brother was saying that the emulators were available for other android phones but were slow. I'll see if he can get in here and speak more about the subject.

This brings up another idea. For gaming purposes, wouldn't the DPAD been better placed on the left side? :)

Skywaffle

Reaction score
They do have gameboy, NES, SNES emulators for the Android platform. The problem is that the Android operating system only executes interpreted Java applications. This makes it easier for porting existing web / cell phone based applications.

however, the big problem is that Java is a high level language, and doesn't really provide direct access to the hardware. This causes the emulators run generally slow and have to be run with frameskipping. (whereas on other platforms, like the PSP or Wii, homebrew emulators are coded in C++ (still high level, but with libraries that provide lower level access to the hardware)

OP
Superman

Superman

Reaction score
This brings up another idea. For gaming purposes, wouldn't the DPAD been better placed on the left side? :)

Not really. I have no doubt I'll be able to use the DPAD on the right just as well as on the left.

Cole119

Reaction score
Hopefully the Droid's powerful hardware can run these emulators fairly smoothly. I've never had an Android phone before, does anyone know if there are Game Boy Advance emulators too?

romeov

Reaction score

shatteredzman

Reaction score
I am currently playing The Legend of Zelda for the SNES on the G1 and aside from lag every once and a while(like when I get a text message) the playability is fine. I can only imagine the droid being easier to use with a D-pad.

rushmore

Reaction score
I have a G1 and am considering a Droid. There are many great emulators for Android:

Based on G1 with CPU clocked to 528mhz (weaker chipset than Droids)

1. NESoid NES about 98% of all games play perfect with sound
2. SNESoid SNES about 80% perfect with sound
3. GENoid a Genesis about 90% perfect with sound
4. SEGoid Sega and Game Gear about 98% perfect with sound
5. Gboid GBA about 85% perfect with sound
6. Android Arcade Plays mainly NeoGeo, Capcom and Cave games. About 30% perfect with sound and 90% perfect without sound
7. Jarcade Plays MAME .134 set (like on other portable versions of MAME). Mr. Do and games like that play perfect and other do too. About 40% play perfect with sound.

Point is that Droid should perform a lot better than the G1 and you should be VERY happy with the purchase of all the emulators.

Question is, will the system demand for higher res display offset the better chipset and make the games play similar to the G1?

Look at the positives: Either way you will be happy, but if the higher res display does not hurt performance, you will be VERY happy :)

BTW, not enough power for a N64 emulator, but the stuff listed above will turn your Droid into a very good pocket game system :)

OP
Superman

Superman

Reaction score
Thanks Rushmore. So, I've round the ROMS of the games I own, where do I put them on the phone for SNESoid to find them? Do I download on the phone itself, or onto a PC and then copy them to the SD card?

Thanks!

xndzizz

Reaction score
Currently none of the -oid emulator work for Droid (Android 2.0). They quit immediatly after loading a ROM.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

shatteredzman

Reaction score
Currently none of the -oid emulator work for Droid (Android 2.0). They quit immediatly after loading a ROM.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

It probably has something to do with the resolution since the droid has such a large screen. Android 2.0 also introduced a new way of handling different resolutions that probably is not compatible with the emulators until they get updated.

xndzizz

Reaction score
Well hopefully thats some that can be easily fixed - Im sure people are buggin' the creators of the emulators to get crackin'

OP
Superman

Superman

Reaction score
SNESoid reviews on the Market say that it works great with 2.0. Let me go check...

OP
Superman

Superman

Reaction score
Yep, I just played a little Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars and they both worked great on the DROID. Just need to remember what the buttons did on an SNES controller and the best way to map them to the hard keyboard. :lol: