Need to permanently save voicemail to MP3 or WAV or something

OutInTheSticks

Reaction score
This ought to be easy to do, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

I have several voicemail messages on my Verizon Droid that I need to save permanently to some sort of Audio file, that would maintain the date & time it was originally sent, and to be able to save it as an MP3 or WAV file.

I've seen the low-tech version - playing it back into an audio recorder - but figure there has got to be a better way to do this that you don't have to MacGiver the phone or other accessories in order to do.

Anyone know of a way to take a saved voicemail message & save it to a wav/mp3 file that can then be managed?

Thanks

S

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The problem is that voicemail isn't on your phone. It's in Verizon's voicemail system. Voicemail is a carrier feature -- not a phone feature. That's why you've seen the MacGuyver'd solutions.

It's not what you're looking for but this is pretty easy with Google Voice. VM can be forwarded via email, downloaded & stored, etc.

BostonDan

Reaction score
This ought to be easy to do, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

I have several voicemail messages on my Verizon Droid that I need to save permanently to some sort of Audio file, that would maintain the date & time it was originally sent, and to be able to save it as an MP3 or WAV file.

I've seen the low-tech version - playing it back into an audio recorder - but figure there has got to be a better way to do this that you don't have to MacGiver the phone or other accessories in order to do.

Anyone know of a way to take a saved voicemail message & save it to a wav/mp3 file that can then be managed?

Thanks

S

I would highly suggest going to Youmail (youmail.com). It is an external voicemail system that has an android app that will allow you to review messages 1) without using your minutes on your plan and 2) you can download the messages to your computer (with a time/date and phone number stamp as the filename). Even better, you can "Bulk" download voicemails, so you can group all the calls from your crazy ex-wife as one bundle to download, and all the voicemails from your friends as another.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
B.D.

BostonDan

Reaction score
I've got it set up, how do you get the ones currently @ Verizon over to this service?

You will have to do that with a low-tech approach. I would recommend using the headphone output to your PC to capture the audio. The youmail will only work for present to future voicemails. The verizon voicemails cannot be transferred to the service, as far as I know. There may be an option to forward the voicemails in the voicemail menu, but I do not know if this is the case.

Cheers,
B.D.

OP
O

OutInTheSticks

Reaction score
Found a solution that isn't a low tech one.

Perhaps not the best, but it is one that would have to go in the category of "stinks the least".

I enabled Visual Voicemail on the phone & brought it over. You can actually get to voicemails in your mailbox with the Visual Voicemail.

Good news is the quality is as good as the message was.

Bad news is that it doesn't announce the date & time of the message, but instead it puts it as part of the filename.

Not everything I wanted but it did preserve the voicemail. Perhaps the low-tech approach is the only thing that will preserve both the voicemail AND the date time stamp on the announcement.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Voicemail to MP3 Service

Don't know how bad you want your message with automated introduction entact, but this is a service that does exactly what you're asking for (in a high-tech way).

www.SaveMyVM.com

Later,

Bob

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with Google Voice? I get emails with an MP3 or wave file of what they said. I haven't tried to save those files anywhere (and maybe it's just a link, not sure), but I'm pretty sure you can save the file (not sure about the email, if you delete from GV the email might be gone).

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I would also recommend Google Voice. It's free, you can have your voicemails saved, emailed, etc., and it transcribes them so you get "visual voicemail" too.

GeXX

Reaction score
I was using google voice for awhile, until I started to get reports from people that were never transferred to voicemail. So I went ahead and started paying the 2.99 a month for visual voicemail. So far it's been pretty cool, and one can save the voicemail to your sdcard... No issues with calls not being sent through..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I was using google voice for awhile, until I started to get reports from people that were never transferred to voicemail. So I went ahead and started paying the 2.99 a month for visual voicemail. So far it's been pretty cool, and one can save the voicemail to your sdcard... No issues with calls not being sent through..

Dumb question maybe, but do you flash roms? I often have to reset GV as the default voicemail after flashing a new rom. I've never had an issue with GV not picking up.

shmeep

Reaction score
Saving Voicemail

Google Voice is a great solution but it doesnt allow you to record the voicemails that are already in my droids voicemail- it wont go in and get them.

i think www.voicemailsforever.com should do the trick for u
:greendroid:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you forward existing voicemails to your GV account? Never tried it just curious.

jiffy

Reaction score
Google Voice is a pretty good solution if it works for you. I actually created a service myself that allows you to record voicemails (and any other phone calls for that matter) and download them as mp3. I do charge, but it's super cheap... and you only pay for the recordings you want. Check it out: http://www.savethatcall.com