Need root/update help

ahern09

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out because im lost here. i have tried to search but my case is a bit odd.
i originally rooted my droid 4 on 2.3.4 if im not mistaken. i had root keeper and everything, but i also had a pop up blocker that blocked ads and a lot of other things. i had my phone set to block ads, and then i ota updated to 2.3.6, thinking my root keeper would save my root. my phone updated, but i can not get my root back. it shows i have super user installed, my device isnt rooted, my root permissions arent granted, and system root is protected along with su copy available. when i try and restore root it says my su is outdated.

my problem is that now i am unrooted on 2.3.6 but my ads and other things are still being blocked from when i was rooted, which is hindering me from ota updating. i am on a mac and can not find a way to re root my phone, as anything i have found online is either outdated or missing files to be downloaded. i want to upgrade to jb.

im going to try to update my su binary

when i try to update it i get a failure due to incorrect download path

GigaJake

Reaction score
You're still on Gingerbread? Seriously? Haha, retro.

The easiest way to get to JB (which has it's own root method) is to simply flash the official JB sbf file using fastboot. RSD lite doesn't work on a Mac, to my knowledge, so you're going to have to figure out how to fastboot otherwise.

I recommend looking into a utility known as moto-fastboot. It's a command line utility that I believe works on all platforms. Figure out how to use that, grab yourself the jb sbf file and update your phone.

Then figure out if the Razr Blade method works on Mac as well (this is the JB root method)

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

OP
A

ahern09

Reaction score
You're still on Gingerbread? Seriously? Haha, retro.

The easiest way to get to JB (which has it's own root method) is to simply flash the official JB sbf file using fastboot. RSD lite doesn't work on a Mac, to my knowledge, so you're going to have to figure out how to fastboot otherwise.

I recommend looking into a utility known as moto-fastboot. It's a command line utility that I believe works on all platforms. Figure out how to use that, grab yourself the jb sbf file and update your phone.

Then figure out if the Razr Blade method works on Mac as well (this is the JB root method)

ya i was never able to figure out how to re root my phone or deal with the ad blocker. i know that if i can find the files that the ad blocker deletes then maybe i can reinstall them. i was hoping a factory reset would help but it didnt. i kind of want to just erase and restart over but i dont know how, and i cant go too long with out a phone.

GigaJake

Reaction score
You don't need to have your phone in "perfect upgrade" condition to fastboot. If you get moto-fastboot working, you can flash the JB sbf without needing to fix whatever your ad blocks tampered with. That's probably the best solution for you if you want to go to JB.