Need help with Kernels for Droid 1

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Upgraded to Cyanogen 7 ROM (7.0.3) on a Droid 1.

I like it but the kernel tops out at 800mhz. I know for sure my phone can handle 1ghz...I was running the slayher kernel on Ultimate Droid ROM before just fine. For whatever reason, Cyanogen doesnt like the Slayher kernel I was using before.

What 1ghz kernel will work with Cyanogen 7? Also, where do we find and download these things? I found LOTS of references on Google, but no one ever posted actual download links. I am kinda surprised there are no websites that cater to kernels since so many people use them.

Are kernels specific to the ROM or the OS version or both? I assume you need to use a kernel designed for your OS and phone model at the very least.

I have tried google and came up with nothing. Lots and lots of pages with people saying how much they like such-and-such kernels...NO information on where to actually get them. It is quite frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

bullswife98

Reaction score
You should try ChevyNo1's kernels. And its available in Rom manager.

SENT FROM THE OG DROID THAT STARTED IT ALL, RUNNING SIMPLY STUNNING ROM 5.4

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah, I've read that. And I have a full version of ROM manager. But I cannot find any "kernel" section in it. Just ROMs and recovery.

How do you find kernels in Rom Manager?

bullswife98

Reaction score
Go to rom manager,hit dwnld rom,scroll to ChevyNo1. Roms and hit it. Then when it opens scroll all the way dwn to the bottom and you'll see kernels for froyo/gingerbread. Hit that. It will bring up a menu of what voltage and kernals you want. May I suggest chevy's 1.1 lv its pretty good on my droid but every droid is a little differant. Lol

SENT FROM THE OG DROID THAT STARTED IT ALL, RUNNING SIMPLY STUNNING ROM 5.4

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ok...I didnt know it was mixed in with the ROMs. I found it. Thank you.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Chevy's kernels are outstanding, no question. but, every phone reacts differently. you may also want to check out CorCor's kernels if you have any issues.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I installed the 1ghz chevy kernel and it is working fine.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So here is what I would like to know about kernels:

1) Does a given kernel only work with a specific Phone CPU?

2) Does a given kernel only work with a specific OS version? (Froyo, Gingerbread ect..)

3) Does a given kernel only work with a specific ROM or ROMs? (Cyanogen, Bugless Beast, whatever)

4) Are kernels applied on AFTER the ROM boots (where you can see the lock screen or the boot animation)? Or are they applied immediately as soon as the phone is powered up?

I am concerned that if I install the wrong kernel it will fry my CPU or brick my phone.

EFGantry

Reaction score
usually, it's best to wait until you boot up the rom and go thru the set up process before flashing a kernel. i've always had better luck that way, and a lot less boot loops. you won't fry your CPU, so don't worry about that. you might end up in a boot loop if your phone doesn't like a particular kernel. if that happens, just do a batt pull, reboot into recovery, and flash a different kernel. here's the process i've been using, and it never fails me:
  1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
  2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
  3. boot into recovery
  4. wipe data/factory reset
  5. wipe cache
  6. format boot and format system.
  7. install rom zip from sdcard
  8. reboot
IMPORTANT – after you sign into Google, and Google syncs all of your data, do not use your phone until the market completely downloads all your apps. let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever. (or, you can bypass this process by restoring apps thru TiBu.)
9. boot into recovery
10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
11. reboot
12. boot into recovery
13. flash kernel (if you want something other than the stock kernel)
14. reboot
15. enjoy!

kernels are phone specific. D1 kernels won't work on other devices, and vice-versa. they aren't generally OS version specific, altho some kernel dev'rs will make separate kernels for froyo and gb. but, chevy has kernels that are both for froyo and gb. some kernels are designed with specific roms in mind, but that doesn't mean that they won't work for other roms as well. overall, the kernel that works best will depend on your particular phone. that's why you have to experiment to find the best one.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
kernels are phone specific.

Ok...so Rom Manager knows what phone I have I assume. So I can download any of those and expect them to work? I mean, I can expect that they are designed to work with my CPU?

that's why you have to experiment to find the best one.

The only thing that has stopped em from experimenting is the fear of bricking my phone with a kernel that locks up the CPU...so that I cant even boot into recovery.

Thats why I was wondering when the kernel was applied in the boot up process. If it is applied at the boot animation, then it isnt a big deal. If it is applied when the power goes on, that is more of a big deal because it could prevent me from using the recovery console.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Its not a bad idea to load a few different kernels to the sd. That way if you bootloop, and kernels can make you do that, just boot into recovery and flash another one. Just saves time by not having to flash a backup. I never bricked my phone with a kernel, just bootlooped.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I keep a copy of Cyanogen 7 in the root of my SD Card. If I need to I can just reflash that and it will overwrite my kernel with one I know for sure is safe.

Like I said, my main concern is if the kernel prevents me getting into recovery. If that happens I cant change anything and am stuck.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A kernel load will not freeze you out of recovery. Recovery is its own "mini" OS.

Follow CJM's advice.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Ok...so Rom Manager knows what phone I have I assume. So I can download any of those and expect them to work? I mean, I can expect that they are designed to work with my CPU?

The only thing that has stopped em from experimenting is the fear of bricking my phone with a kernel that locks up the CPU...so that I cant even boot into recovery.

Thats why I was wondering when the kernel was applied in the boot up process. If it is applied at the boot animation, then it isnt a big deal. If it is applied when the power goes on, that is more of a big deal because it could prevent me from using the recovery console.

just because they are listed in RM, doesn't mean you can flash them. RM has roms and themes for all different devices. you have to make sure you pick a D1 rom and kernel, otherwise it won't work. and don't worry about bricking your phone. the D1 is virtually unbrickable. out of the 200,000 or whatever members on here, there has only been maybe one (MAYBE) D1 that's been truly bricked.