Need help: Stuck on Google Screen/CWM not loading.

jedijumphigh

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not new to rooting or anything and tend to switch roms quite frequently. However, just a little under an hour ago, I planned on switching to Sourcery's latest JB rom from their previous JB beta. I didn't look up any instructions on the rom switch since I felt that it was going to be similar to others, so I did the basic wipe data/cache and all that, then proceeded to install the zip.

Problem arose from there, when I select "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" (CWM v6.0.1.0), all of the blue text leaves the screen and nothing happens. All that is there is the CWM name on the top and bottom, along with the logo. I waited minutes and nothing happened so I had to battery pull. From there, I tried to restore, but the same thing happens when I select "backup and restore."

If I reboot the system, it sits on the Google screen (also waited twenty minutes, no progress.)

As of now, the phone won't allow me to do anything and this is the first time I've been stuck in a predicament like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Perhaps try flashing a different recovery through fastboot. TWRP perhaps ( [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.2.0 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-07-12] - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki ). Most unlocking/rooting guides cover how to do this if you don't know. You may be able to use Wug's toolkit as well, I have no experience with that though. If you need help with this I can help. I would say you could try to flash an update.zip of a recovery, but with your recovery bugging out this may not be possible.

mattv111

Reaction score
Perhaps try flashing a different recovery through fastboot. TWRP perhaps ( [RECOVERY] TWRP 2.2.0 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-07-12] - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki ). Most unlocking/rooting guides cover how to do this if you don't know. You may be able to use Wug's toolkit as well, I have no experience with that though. If you need help with this I can help. I would say you could try to flash an update.zip of a recovery, but with your recovery bugging out this may not be possible.

^ this

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I also ran into the same sort of problem. I went from LiquidSmooth ICS to their JB rom, and got thrown into a tangent of boot loops. I was also getting stuck at the Google screen for a long time. I tried to flash a recovery of LiquidSmooth ICS and AOkP ICS, but it kept giving me an error of no data found. Really frustrating and I don't know what happened. I am also not new to flashing and have done it a million times, but never experienced this problem.

I ended up having to reflash stock images wiping my whole entire phone and losing everything. Then I had to reroot. This was the only thing that fixed my problem.

Is there something I may have done wrong when flashing the JB rom? I wiped data, cache, and dalvik before I flashed the rom and still had the issues.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Is there something I may have done wrong when flashing the JB rom? I wiped data, cache, and dalvik before I flashed the rom and still had the issues.

From the sounds of things, your situation was different. The OP here seemed to have an issue with his/her custom recovery, whatever may have gone with it (perhaps bad download, bad install not sure).

Your issue I am just guessing, is a much more common one. My guess is you didn't wait long enough for it to boot. Some folks have said it has taken them ballpark ranges of 20 - 30 minutes to boot into JB. I even saw a youtube video with a stop watch that lasted 27minutes and some change, on a bootup (no I didn't watch the entire thing haha). It doesn't seem to happen every reboot, and it can vary in times. Some folks get hit harder than others. There may be a better explanation as to what is happening by now, but from what I have read JB does a file system check at boot. So if your device has errors or wasn't shut down properly, you may be in for a long reboot.

There are many alleged fixes, but none seem to be 100% fixes. Installation of the JB bootloader, use a certain recovery, don't install certain ROM, put the boot animation in /data/local, boot into recovery first then from recovery boot into Android, and probably quite a few others I am not thinking about right now. Most people only get "long" boots every now and again, often spurred by something like an improper shutdown (battery pull, system crash perhaps).

Since you wiped everything in the lock/unlock and flashing back to stock situation, you probably cleared whatever errors your device was sensing. Which would potentially explain why your problem was solved.