Need app development

brian01tj

Reaction score
Anyone need or want experience having fun with creating a simple app (in my mind it is)

I'm in need of a simple app to be made and am not sure how to go about having it created. Its purpose to to randomly generate starting positions for my team. Its needs one screen for the following settings. The only two inputs are first "X" number of participants per lane (example 8) and next is the total amount of participants that have shown up to the meet. (example 23 people is input)

Then the app will then know that the following is needed (each of these correlates to a position number): A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7. Each group of letters CANNOT exceed "X" participants which was input earlier.

Now the next screen is simply a button that says "Get My Position" and when pressed it randomly gens a position for that person (example B4) then the next person comes up presses the button and is generated their own position which cannot duplicate any previous one given so that duplicate positions do not exist.

Any help would be very appreciated

Brian

crdnilfan

Reaction score
I'll make one. It won't look good but it'll do exactly what you want. Give me an hour or so.

OP
B

brian01tj

Reaction score
I could not be more grateful. Thank you!

Sent using DroidForums App

crdnilfan

Reaction score
Here ya go, just rename the .zip extension to .apk and install through adb or any file manager from your SD card.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

i finished in exactly 1 hour by the way, to the minute, and now it's time for dinner. :)

(Not to be a jerk, but if you feel so inclined, i have an app called "School's Out (Donate)" on the market, don't at all feel obligated, but a $.99 donation would be nice, you can uninstall it if you want too lol.)

Last edited:
OP
B

brian01tj

Reaction score
I did thank you! Haven't played with it yet, in a meeting lol. I'll definitely let you know. And I will for sure download your app

Thank you again!

Sent using DroidForums App

crdnilfan

Reaction score
Updated the app (back from dinner) added a few convenience features. such as how many out of how many positions you've filled to keep track

also displays "Last assignment", in case you accidentally push it twice, and you're like, "OH CRAP BRO! WHAT WAS THE LAST ASSIGNMENT?!?" well now you know!

if you have any feature requests, let me know.

the app was updated in post 4

OP
B

brian01tj

Reaction score
Yeah those features definitely helped smooth the process out.

I like the one that shows the last assignment. Do you think you could make it so that it would show all the previous assignments in order somehow?

And what about a back button? Im afraid of someone hitting the button twice by accident.

crdnilfan

Reaction score
Alright new version attached on this post. It limits presses of the "Get Position" to 1 per second, so its very difficult to accidentally hit twice, as you would have to hit it, wait a second, and hit it again and not realize you did that.

It lists in the big yellow text the position assigned, and it gives the person a number (1 - # of total people). then on the bottom it keeps a continuous list of numbers and positions in case somebody forgets.

Also if you type 0 for number of people per lanes, it won't force close now. Also fixed other possible force closes (like if you put just weird weird values, it'll catch errors).

Enjoy.

OP
B

brian01tj

Reaction score
I like the addition of the continual list of positions assigned. Any chance the big yellow postions could only show the position and not the incremental number (2--B4 could it just be B4).

Also, I found that while assigning positions if the phone is turned on its side and then back straight up that all positions are reset and that "No Positions Available" is displayed.

Awesome additions though man! Couldnt be happier

crdnilfan

Reaction score
I like the addition of the continual list of positions assigned. Any chance the big yellow postions could only show the position and not the incremental number (2--B4 could it just be B4).

Also, I found that while assigning positions if the phone is turned on its side and then back straight up that all positions are reset and that "No Positions Available" is displayed.

Awesome additions though man! Couldnt be happier

Done.
Ignoring orientation was weird, but got it figured out.