Need advice for a new desktop computer

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's the scoop, my Mac Mini I use in my bedroom is basically just a internet browser/media center. I don't do too much with it except hook it between my TV and my computer monitor. It's starting to get outdated, bought it back in 07, finally time to upgrade it, even though it has been very good to me. I was looking at the new Mac Mini's, I know we are all anti apple here so just suspend that for a second haha, but the lack of an optical drive is ridiculous to me. Like I said it's only a computer for my bedroom so I am not looking for top of the line stuff, something in the price range of 500-700 dollars, plays 1080p, can handle graphics well and won't slow down after a couple hours of browsing and watching videos. One thing I have really gotten use to with my Mac is not ever having to worry about a virus, so I guess I would like to hear what you guys would suggest for handling that on a windows pc.

So in the end, recommend me a good comp I can get for my price range and let me know the tricks of owning a windows PC, it's been 6 years since I have owned one, I am sure they have changed drastically. Thanks guys!

asdfghjkl_em

Reaction score
Having owned both a mac and windows, my mac runs better then my windows computer and I've owned my mac longer and its been through much more.

I've owned my macbook for three years. Never once has had to get a new battery for it, no repairs, nothing.

My Dell laptop I've owned for two. Replaced battery twice, needs replaced again as it won't last for more than 15 minutes.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Having owned both a mac and windows, my mac runs better then my windows computer and I've owned my mac longer and its been through much more.

I've owned my macbook for three years. Never once has had to get a new battery for it, no repairs, nothing.

My Dell laptop I've owned for two. Replaced battery twice, needs replaced again as it won't last for more than 15 minutes.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

yeah I have a Macbook for my everyday laptop, the mini is just in my room. I just hate the fact Apple felt like the optical drive was going to be obsolete so they decided the mini didn't need one anymore. That is the only thing holding me back from getting a new Mac Mini. There is no excuse for them not to have blu-ray drives in their computers by now, IMO.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
yeah I have a Macbook for my everyday laptop, the mini is just in my room. I just hate the fact Apple felt like the optical drive was going to be obsolete so they decided the mini didn't need one anymore. That is the only thing holding me back from getting a new Mac Mini. There is no excuse for them not to have blu-ray drives in their computers by now, IMO.

I'd say get a Mac.

Macs are better IMO period.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

devator22

Reaction score
I've had my windows pc for 5 years now, have never gotten a virus, and it boots from off to ready to use in 30 seconds. And I built it for less than $1000. Admittedly, I upgraded the processor and video card summer of 2010, but the other parts are from the original build. I love it, I love windows 7, and I can play any game I want, though there are more games coming out for mac now. It's all about being aware of what you are doing. Avoid fishy web sites. Use windows defender, it's free and it works great. My apple whore friend just built a gaming pc, and he loves it. If you want some advice on parts and stuff, pm me. I like shopping for parts. Although, I know the earthquake in japan has caused some prices to go up recently. Newegg is your friend.

Sorry for the ramble.

Sent from my mobile typewriter with tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
You can build a 6 core beast or get a quad core bare bones for 300-700 bucks!