Navigational App

lesisk

Reaction score
Spend a lot of time 4-wheel driving on he beach. Is there an app that would allow me to mark a point where I stopped and help me navigate back to that point later??

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Spend a lot of time 4-wheel driving on he beach. Is there an app that would allow me to mark a point where I stopped and help me navigate back to that point later??

If you are in google maps, you can click on your location by pressing the little blue location pin. A black screen with a bunch of different info comes up, but in the upper right hand corner there is a gray star. Click on the star to highlight it. Later on, when you are somewhere else, you can open up maps and press the menu button and then press "more" and you can click on a list of "starred items" where you will see any location you have marked/"starred." Touching any of your starred items will give you the option to navigate back.

You can delete stars by signing into your google account on your pc, going into google maps (on your pc), then click on "My Maps" and then unclick any stars you don't want to see anymore. Also, if you go into bookmarks.google.com, you have even more options, including renaming stars, etc. (This last option can also be done from your phone's browser).

Last edited:
OP
L

lesisk

Reaction score
Navigational Aid

Thanks - That's very helpful. I think I have it now. As you can tell, I'me fairly new at this!!

OP
L

lesisk

Reaction score
Navigational Apps

One other question. Will this work if the spot you star has no physical address; i.e., I'm on the beach 10 miles from nowhere?

lakerfan82

Reaction score
One other question. Will this work if the spot you star has no physical address; i.e., I'm on the beach 10 miles from nowhere?

I think the star uses GPS coordinates to mark the spot, but may also pull in the closest address to name the star as well as for navigational purposes. For example, I just marked two spots in a national forest that are fairly close to each other, but are basically in the middle of nowhere. The star uses the gps coordinates for marking (they are clearly in two different places), but both stars are named the same thing because they both pull in the same address. This is where going to bookmarks.google.com to rename or edit the stars comes in handy...

OP
L

lesisk

Reaction score
Navigational Aid

Thanks - That's what I needed to know before I go off to a 20 mile deserted beach! Appreciate your help:)

Todd157k

Reaction score
Also, there's Car Locator. It will navigate back to an origin point.

OP
L

lesisk

Reaction score
Can't see, to get to 'my maps' on the Droid. Only on my PC. Anyone know why?:mad:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Also, there's Car Locator. It will navigate back to an origin point.

Yea use car locator all the time, and not just for my car. Having a widget on the screen to just click and have your location saved is great. The timer feature is also very useful

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another, similar approach involves the app Compass (from Snaptic) and the same vendor's note taking app 3banana Notes. (Both free.)

Works like this. Open Compass and calibrate by waving it around over your head. (Yes, I'm serious.) The compass will then identify your location via GPS. You can then "save" that location, adding text, photos, etc. Name the location.

When you wish to return to the location, open 3BananaNotes and open the location note you saved. Touch the gps coordinates and Google map opens on the coordinates.

Nice set of apps for this sort of thing and the Compass is pretty and configurable. :)