Navigation GPS is disabled

mrdroid

Reaction score
So when I first got my Droid the Navigation using wireless networks worked fine. Now when I try to use it; it gives me an error that says GPS is disabled,,,,, Launch the location settings panel?

I hit OK and it has Use wireless networks checked and Use GPS satellites unchecked. Does GPS have to be used now or something?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would check settings, location & security. Then enable the "use GPS satellites"

Hope that resolves.

Mike

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
Is using GPS an additional charge? I would assume so since there is a more expensive plan with GPS included.

The settings are just the default settings. Wireless location is on GPS is off. This worked fine a few weeks ago. Just the other day it's asking me to enable GPS. But I want to know why wireless location isn't working.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no charge. It is included in your data plan. I've used several times and it is
awesome. I've had mine enabled since day one. If your apprehensive about enabling call the VZW customer service and verify.
Mike

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the plan that charges for navigation/GPS is for other phones. VZ charges for an app for those phones so you can use navigation. However, the Droid comes with google nav, and free navigation... one of its selling points.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are correct! VZW markets VZ Navigator and charges a daily or monthly fee. The GPS navigation on the Droid is free.

Mike

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the plan that charges for navigation/GPS is for other phones. VZ charges for an app for those phones so you can use navigation. However, the Droid comes with google nav, and free navigation... one of its selling points.

Which is the issue I'm having. My Google Nav is forcing me to select GPS. It won't navigate via wireless networks anymore.

Silver Member
Reaction score

Which is the issue I'm having. My Google Nav is forcing me to select GPS. It won't navigate via wireless networks anymore.
location is highly unpredictable and never accurate. GPS should always be your method of choice.

add the power widget to a screen. you can enable and disable GPS from there.

i leave mine enabled all of the time as i rarely use apps that utilize the function.

aacanela73

Reaction score
VZ Navigator isn't available for the Droid. I turn the GPS on and off to conserve battery it's on the widget.

OP
mrdroid

mrdroid

Reaction score
I'm sure wireless location based navigation's accuracy would depend on where you live and how many towers are around you? I miss it because driving around in the city GPS doesn't work because of the tall buildings and wireless nav was a life saver.

Yea I have the power widget but never really thought to use GPS because I didn't need it.

I'll probably install sholes updater tonight. Maybe that'll fix it :)